Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue

In summary, the conversation is about the different notations used for the derivative of a fluid property 'B' in the context of a control volume. The textbook presents two equations, (1) and (2), which are equivalent but use different notations for the derivative. The first equation, (1), uses the notation d/dt, while the second equation, (2), uses the notation D/Dt. The person asking the questions is confused about the use of partial derivatives in (2) and their absence in (1). They also ask about the material derivative, and whether the two equations tell us about the change in 'B' as we follow the system upstream. They are seeking clarification and welcome any ideas.
Saladsamurai
Perhaps someone can clear up some confusion for me. EQs (1) and (2) are synonymous, but use different notations for the derivative.

In my textbook, the RTT is written in the following form:

Given some fluid property 'B,' let [itex]\beta[/itex] be the intensive property [itex]\beta = d\, B/d\, m[/itex]. Then the rate of change of B of the system can be written in terms of a control volume:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(B_{sys}) = \frac{d}{dt}(\int_{cv}\beta\rho\,dV) + \int_{cs}\beta\rho(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n})\, dA \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(1)[/tex]But, I have seen it elsewhere using partials on the RHS and material derivative on the LHS:

[tex]\frac{D}{Dt}(B_{sys}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}(\int_{cv}\beta\rho\,dV) + \int_{cs}\beta\rho(\mathbf{v}\cdot\mathbf{n})\, dA\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(2)[/tex]So my questions are :

i.) Comparing the left-hand-sides of (1) and (2) I presume that [itex]d/dt \equiv D/Dt[/itex] ?

ii.) Why are we using partials, [itex]\partial/\partial{t}[/itex], in (2) and not in (1) ?

iii.) With regard to the material derivative, what is it exactly? Am I correct in saying that with respect to fluid motion, EQs (1) and (2) tell us about the change in a fluid property 'B' as we follow the system upstream?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have reformulated my question in attempt to attract some responses. I hope my questions are now clear and concise.

Any ideas are welcome :smile:

1. What is the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue refers to a common problem encountered when applying the Reynolds Transport Theorem in fluid mechanics and heat transfer problems. It involves the confusion between the use of the dot notation (for material derivatives) and the prime notation (for local derivatives) in the equations, which can lead to incorrect solutions if not properly addressed.

2. Why is the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue important?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue is important because it can lead to incorrect solutions in fluid mechanics and heat transfer problems. It is crucial to properly understand and address this issue in order to obtain accurate results and avoid errors in calculations.

3. How can the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue be resolved?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue can be resolved by clearly defining and differentiating between the dot notation and the prime notation in the equations. It is important to use the appropriate notation based on the reference frame being used (Lagrangian or Eulerian) and to be consistent throughout the calculations.

4. What are some common mistakes made when dealing with the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue?

Some common mistakes made when dealing with the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue include using the wrong notation, not clearly defining the reference frame being used, and not being consistent in using the same notation throughout the equations. These mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions and should be avoided.

5. How does the Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue impact the results of fluid mechanics and heat transfer problems?

The Reynolds Transport Theorem Notational Issue can significantly impact the results of fluid mechanics and heat transfer problems by introducing errors in the calculations. This can lead to inaccurate results and can affect the design and performance of systems that rely on these calculations. It is important to properly address this issue to ensure accurate results.