Verifying Laplace Analysis: Comparing Equations (1) and (2)

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the correctness of a solution for a controls problem and converting a given function in the Laplace domain to a known form using a table. The process involves factoring and comparing the denominators and numerators to determine the values of variables. Ultimately, both parties reach the same result, confirming the correctness of the solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I just want to verify that I am dong this correctly and if not, where my misconceptions are. I keep getting a different answer so I am going to go through this step by step:

After a some steps in a controls problem, I end up with a function in the Laplace domain:

[tex]\Theta(s) = \frac{12}{\frac{6}{5}s^2 +96}\qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

From table, I know that

[tex]\mathcal L[Be^{-at}\sin(\omega t)]=\frac{B\omega}{(s+a)^2 + \omega^2}\qquad(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the idea is to make my equation (1) take the form of the known equation (2):

First, I factored the denominator so that s2 has a coefficient of 1:

[tex]\frac{12}{\frac{6}{5}s^2 +96}=\frac{1}{\frac{6}{5}}\cdot \frac{12}{s^2+80}[/tex]

Comparing the denominators of each we have:

[tex](s+a)^2 + \omega^2 = s^2 +80[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow s^2 + 2as + a^2 + \omega^2 =s^2 +80[/tex]

[tex]\therefore a = 0 \qquad\qquad \omega^2 = 80[/tex]

So we now have to compare the numerators:

[tex]12 = B*\omega[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow B = \frac{12}{\omega}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow B=\frac{12}{\sqrt{80}}[/tex]

Thus, we can write:

[tex]\Theta(s) =\frac{5}{6}\cdot\frac{(\frac{12}{\sqrt{80}})*\sqrt{80}}{(s+0)^2+ \sqrt{80}^2}[/tex]

So, in the time domain, we have:

[tex]\mathcal L^{-1} [\Theta(s)]=\theta(t) = \frac{10}{\sqrt{80}}\cdot\sin(\sqrt{80}t)[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}\sin(4\sqrt5 t)[/tex]

I have gotten this result a couple of times, so I think I am correct, but my friend got something a little different.

Are there any blatant errors I am making?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I used Maxima to find the Laplace transform of sqrt(5)*sin(4*sqrt(5)*t)/2. I got 10/(s^2+80). As that is the same function you started out with, I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Okie dokie! Thanks!

1. What is Laplace analysis and how is it used in scientific research?

Laplace analysis is a mathematical technique used to analyze and solve problems involving differential equations. It is commonly used in scientific research to model and understand dynamic systems, such as those found in physics, engineering, and biology.

2. What is the purpose of verifying Laplace analysis by comparing equations (1) and (2)?

The purpose of comparing equations (1) and (2) is to ensure the accuracy and validity of the Laplace analysis. By comparing the results from two different equations, researchers can check for any errors or inconsistencies in their calculations.

3. What are the differences between equations (1) and (2) in Laplace analysis?

Equation (1) represents the Laplace transform of a given function, while equation (2) represents the inverse Laplace transform. This means that equation (1) is used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while equation (2) is used to transform it back from the frequency domain to the time domain.

4. How do you determine the accuracy of the results when comparing equations (1) and (2) in Laplace analysis?

The accuracy of the results can be determined by evaluating the difference between the two equations. If the difference is negligible, then the results are considered accurate. However, if there is a significant difference, it may indicate an error in the calculations or a limitation of the Laplace analysis method.

5. What are some common challenges in verifying Laplace analysis using equations (1) and (2)?

One common challenge is selecting the correct initial conditions and applying them consistently in both equations. Another challenge is dealing with complex functions and determining the appropriate inverse Laplace transform for these functions. Additionally, human error in calculations can also pose a challenge in verifying Laplace analysis.