Need 0-3v output from 0-12v input

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for a way to dim a gauge in their car using a 3v source and a control knob. They have considered using a resistor but would prefer an adjustable solution. One suggestion is to use a voltage regulator, while another suggests a simple two resistor voltage divider. They also discuss the current draw of the gauge and how to test it. The conversation ends with a recommendation to use a voltage regulator to address potential voltage fluctuations in the car.
Atomic178
Hi, this isn't a homework question, but this is one of the best technical forums I've seen for stuff like this so I thought I would give it a shot.

Im an aerospace engineering student (3rd year) and like all engineers I like to tinker with stuff, but electrical wiring like this is not my specialty.

I have a gauge in my car that runs off a 3v source. I want to be able to dim it with the interior control knob that controls all the other lights (and 2 gauges right beside this one). I emailed the manufacturer about it and they said just throw in a resistor until its where you want it. I don't really like that idea since I want to be able to adjust it with the other gauges.
Let me back up and say the gauge lighting is run on a constant 3v from the sending unit. The typical car system is 12v, obviously. What I want is basically a linear control over the gauge, ie, I have the knob at 6v I want the gauge at 1.5v; 12v to 3v; 0v to 0v.

I asked one of my professors and he mentioned a voltage regulator, but I have never used those before...

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple two resistor voltage divider might work if the gauge doesn't draw too much current.

http://web.mit.edu/rec/www/workshop/voltage-divider.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, I considered a voltage divider, but will it always give the same ratio no matter the input voltage since it has a range of 0-12?

For testing it, would R1=3ohm and R2=1ohm work fine for a 1/4 scale?

Im not sure of how much current the display draws, but its a couple LEDs so I imagine its not much. Any way to easily find out?

Anyone else?

Atomic178 said:
Im not sure of how much current the display draws, but its a couple LEDs so I imagine its not much. Any way to easily find out?
Hook it up to a multimeter. You can use the voltage divider idea for this test.

I emailed the manufacturer about it and they said just throw in a resistor until its where you want it. I don't really like that idea since I want to be able to adjust it with the other gauges.
What about using a variable resistor?

This circuit should work. The diode and transistor models are not important. Just about any diode or transistor should work. Likewise it's the ratio of the values of R1 and R2 that is important not their actual values although they should be kept in the same range as the example. It may be easier to replace the diode with a second transistor and not connect the collector.

Attachments

• Gauge Lighting.doc
    25.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
The electrical voltage in the car depends on whether the alternator is charging (~13,8 volts) or not (~12 volts). If this bothers you, go to the nearest electronics store and buy a 3-pin 7806 or 7805 voltage regulator.

Bob S

1. What is the purpose of needing a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input?

The purpose of needing a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input is to reduce the voltage level for compatibility with electronic devices or components that require lower voltage inputs.

2. How can I achieve a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input?

There are a few ways to achieve a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input, such as using a voltage regulator, a voltage divider circuit, or a digital-to-analog converter (DAC).

3. What are the potential risks or limitations of converting from a 0-12v input to a 0-3v output?

The main risk or limitation of converting from a 0-12v input to a 0-3v output is the loss of voltage and potential loss of power. This can affect the performance or functionality of the electronic device or component that requires the lower voltage input.

4. Are there any alternative methods for achieving a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using a voltage step-down transformer or using a microcontroller with built-in voltage regulation capabilities. However, the most suitable method will depend on the specific application and requirements.

5. Is it possible to achieve a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input without any additional components?

No, it is not possible to achieve a 0-3v output from a 0-12v input without any additional components. Some form of voltage regulation or conversion is necessary to reduce the voltage level from 12v to 3v.