Generator output to Grid Tie Inverter

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Lister generator and a grid tie inverter for power production. The individual is looking for ways to increase the voltage output from the solar panels and how to properly manage the power supply to avoid overloading the generator. The importance of considering power and watt-hours over voltage and amps is emphasized.
craigcurtin
Guys,

I have a Lister generator that is capable of producing approx 5KW of power from an attached ST alternator.

I am in australia so our standard power is 240v at 50hz

I have a grid tie inverter for my solar panels - this unit accepts between 150v dc into 500vdc It has a single input string only - what i would like to be able to do is to use the Grid Tie inverter as a load shed option for my generator.

When my Lister is operating at less than optimum (approx 80% of rated output is optimum) then i would like to dump power to the grid (we get paid 60c per KWH for this) and i run the lister on Vegoil/Lard so it is essentially free to run - maintenance costs on the lister work out to be approx 10c per KWH of electricity production.

Situation 1) - The Solar panels are putting out less than their optimum power output for whatever reason - early morning/late afternoon/cloud cover. - I would like to be able to add DC voltage in series to boost the Voltage coming out of the panels - all of the panels are currently connected in series and theoretically deliver around 270v to the Inverter.

I have access to server based power supplies that can generate 12vdc at 32amps in a very stable way - would it be possible to series connect a number of these to the DC output of the panels to add their voltage/current to the inflow to the Inverter ?

Situation 2) When the panels are generating no power be able to push out 150vdc from (say 13) of these power supplies into the panel - but to current limit it to a reasonable amount based on pwm or some such so that i was not overloading the lister ?

thanks for any input in advance

Craig

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry but you're thinking about voltage when you should be thinking of power.

Picking arbitrary numbers. Suppose I have 1 amp at 100 volts. That makes 100 watts. Now I add a power supply to boost the voltage to 120 V, still at 1 amp. Now I am making 120 watts. So the power supply needs at least 20 watts power input to the supply. 40 watts if the supply is only 50% efficient. Where does that power come from?

My advice is to plan using watts and watt-hours, volts and amps come later and are of secondary importance.

1. What is the purpose of a grid tie inverter?

The purpose of a grid tie inverter is to convert the direct current (DC) output from a generator into alternating current (AC) that can be fed into the electrical grid.

2. How does a grid tie inverter work?

A grid tie inverter works by synchronizing the frequency and phase of the AC output from the generator with the grid's AC power, allowing it to seamlessly integrate with the grid.

3. What is the maximum output of a generator that can be connected to a grid tie inverter?

The maximum output of a generator that can be connected to a grid tie inverter depends on the specific inverter and its capacity. It is important to match the generator's output with the inverter's capacity to ensure efficient and safe operation.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a grid tie inverter?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns when using a grid tie inverter, especially if it is not installed and maintained properly. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and consult a professional electrician if there are any concerns.

5. Can a grid tie inverter be used with renewable energy sources?

Yes, a grid tie inverter can be used with renewable energy sources such as solar panels or wind turbines. These sources also generate DC power, which can be converted into AC power through the inverter and fed into the grid.