Thermodynamic Properties Fixing the State

In summary, a thesis paper discusses how knowing the pressure and equivalence ratio (ER) for the unburned ideal gas mixture in a combustion process can allow one to find all of its thermodynamic properties. However, there may be confusion about the number of moles of each species and the remaining unknowns in the ideal gas relation. Ultimately, the state of a simple compressible system can be fully determined by two independent, intensive properties.
Saladsamurai
I am reading through a thesis paper and it says that for a combustion process in which we have separated the chamber into 2 zones: burned and unburned ideal gas mixtures, if we know the pressure and equivalence ratio (ER) for the unburned ideal gas mixture, we can find all of its thermodynamic properties.

Doesn't the ER just allow us to find the number of moles of each species? And thus knowing pressure and ER (moles) we are still left with two unknowns (Tunburned and Vunburned) in the ideal gas relation:
pV = nRT.

Am I missing the obvious here? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Saladsamurai said:
I am reading through a thesis paper and it says that for a combustion process in which we have separated the chamber into 2 zones: burned and unburned ideal gas mixtures, if we know the pressure and equivalence ratio (ER) for the unburned ideal gas mixture, we can find all of its thermodynamic properties.

Doesn't the ER just allow us to find the number of moles of each species? And thus knowing pressure and ER (moles) we are still left with two unknowns (Tunburned and Vunburned) in the ideal gas relation:
pV = nRT.

Am I missing the obvious here? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Well, I'm not inclined to give an opinion without reading the paper. However, I will say that the thermodynamic state of a simple compressible system is completely specified (i.e. fixed) by two independent, intensive properties.

CS

Thanks stewartcs. I believe that I have sorted it out. It was poorly worded and I took the statement as a "standalone" statement when I should not have.

1. What are thermodynamic properties?

Thermodynamic properties are measurable characteristics of a system, such as temperature, pressure, and volume, that describe its state and behavior.

2. What does "fixing the state" mean in thermodynamics?

"Fixing the state" means specifying the values of certain thermodynamic properties, such as temperature and pressure, in order to fully define the state of a system.

3. Why is it important to fix the state in thermodynamics?

In order to accurately analyze and predict the behavior of a system, it is necessary to define its state by fixing certain properties. This allows for consistent comparisons and calculations.

4. How do you fix the state of a system in thermodynamics?

The state of a system can be fixed by manipulating and controlling the variables that affect its thermodynamic properties, such as changing the temperature or pressure.

5. Can the state of a system be fixed indefinitely?

No, the state of a system can only be fixed within a certain range of values for its thermodynamic properties. Outside of this range, the system may undergo phase changes or exhibit different behavior.