What did I make in my lab? (Inorganic Chemistry)

In summary, a graduate student dissolved some coins in nitric acid to see what would happen. The solution turned black instantly and there was an odor of ammonia. It is unknown what the black substance is, but it may be copper or nickel oxide. The graduate student is wondering if they should have just added KOH slowly to the solution.
kmichel1985
I'm a graduate student in engineering, working primarily with organic chemicals. I've had coursework in inorganic chemistry, though my knowledge in this field isn't great.

I was waiting for some samples to be ready for analysis, so I had the idea to make some aqua regia and dissolve a few coins that I had in my pocket. Note that all steps were performed in a fume hood rated for small explosions, in secondary containment vessels, with all the required PPE. A penny dissolved rather quickly, then I moved onto a quarter (so much for laundry) and a dime. I had some fun dissolving some other coins part way until they were left with a nice copper sheen on both sides.

I also dissolved several more pennies in roughly 40 mL nitric acid, because I planned to create a nice layered suspension later after precipitating the metal. After awhile, the pennies stopped dissolving and I transferred both beakers (one with just pennies and the other with the mix of coins) into two separate, and larger 500 mL beakers. I added water, and then some KOH tablets to precipitate the metals. pH was around 13.

The solution containing pennies turned out beautifully, and I centrifuged it after taking some photos to separate the solids from the liquids as my lab requires. HOWEVER, the other beaker turned jet black when I added KOH. Almost instantaneously. It was a very violent reaction, shooting a black tarry substance into the secondary container. After that settled, I formed what I believe to be ammonia crystals on top because of the odor. I vaguely remember something in class about going past the pK2, I believe and forming ammonia though I'm sure someone can explain this much better. However, I wasn't sure about the black inky substance. Could this be some copper or nickel oxide, perhaps?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm also curious if I should have just left the coins in the nitric acid solution and added KOH slowly to keep the pH stable. Thank you for your time, I'd love to hear your insights!

What did I make in my lab?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as the specific experiments you conducted, the materials and reagents used, and the conditions under which the reactions took place. Some possible products you could have made in your lab include: inorganic compounds, such as salts, oxides, or coordination complexes; gases, such as hydrogen or nitrogen; or precipitates, such as insoluble salts.

How do I know what I made in my lab?

The best way to determine the products of your experiments is to carefully record and analyze your observations and data. This may involve performing tests, such as color changes, solubility tests, or spectroscopic analysis, to identify the products. It is also important to consult your lab manual, reference materials, and/or your instructor for guidance.

Why did I make a certain product in my lab?

The formation of a specific product in your lab is determined by the reactants used and the conditions under which the reaction took place. For example, the type and amount of reagents, temperature, pH, and presence of catalysts can all influence the products formed. Understanding the underlying principles of inorganic chemistry can help you predict and explain the products of your experiments.

What are the properties of the product I made in my lab?

The properties of the product you made will depend on its chemical composition. Some common properties to consider include color, solubility, melting point, and reactivity. These properties can be determined through various experiments and tests, such as melting point determination, titration, or spectroscopic analysis.

What are the potential applications of the product I made in my lab?

The potential applications of the product you made will depend on its properties and its intended use. For example, if you made a new coordination complex, it could potentially be used as a catalyst in a chemical reaction. If you made a new salt, it could have applications in various industries, such as agriculture, medicine, or technology. It is important to research and understand the properties and potential uses of your product to determine its practical applications.