Could mammals have evolved from birds?

• Thread starter Dremmer
  • Start date
In summary, scientists believe that mammals and birds share a common ancestry, but it is unlikely that birds are direct descendants of mammals. The fossil record is incomplete, but new discoveries could lead to surprises. Mammals and birds share many features that do not exist in reptiles, such as different modes of reproduction and distinct anatomical differences. However, homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry, and it is important to have a thorough understanding of the scientific evidence rather than relying on misinformation from creationist websites.
Dremmer
It's is believed by scientists that they came from reptiles, but could they have come from birds? A primitive mammal, the platypus closely resembles a bird. It can lay eggs. Could hair have evolved from feathers?

Biology news on Phys.org
Dremmer said:
It's is believed by scientists that they came from reptiles, but could they have come from birds? A primitive mammal, the platypus closely resembles a bird. It can lay eggs. Could hair have evolved from feathers?

Could have? Who knows? It's very unlikely that they actually did. Do you have a reference for this interesting hypothesis?

Last edited:
That would require mammals to be younger than birds, as far as I know, they are older.

Borek said:
That would require mammals to be younger than birds, as far as I know, they are older.

The fossil record however is not complete. New discoveries found could lead to some surprises.

I don't think it is THAT incomplete. Plus, phylogenetic tree is not based only on fossils, also on measurements of genetic distance.

SW VandeCarr said:
Could have? Who knows? It's very unlikely that they actually did. Do you have a reference for this interesting hypothesis?

Here is an article that talks about the hypothesis.

http://www.evolutionem.co.uk/page9.html

I'm not saying I believe it happened, but there are some things that may support the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dremmer said:

No, if you compare mammals and birds, then birds and "reptiles" either through comparative anatomy, gene or protein data, the clustering of similar traits is too statistically significant for it be an error and for birds to belong to a mammalian nested set.

Edit: Not monotremes and birds both "lay eggs" (and other early mammals to boot) because of a commonality in ancestry. However, when you look at monotreme eggs and bird eggs, they are very dissimilar. The word "egg" here is being used too generally. Fish also lay eggs, as do insects, as do mollusks. That doesn't indicate that birds are the direct descendants of fish, insects of mollusks. It can however, be indicative of a very basal feature for modes of reproduction.

There are many features that birds and mammals share that do not exist in reptiles.

Dremmer said:
There are many features that birds and mammals share that do not exist in reptiles.

Such as?

Dremmer said:

Drakkith said:
Such as?

I'd be interested in hearing them too.

Also as a quick note, remember that homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry.

For the classic example, can you pick out the wolf skull and thylacine skull without cheating? :smile:

THYSKU.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_white_shark"

Why yes, I could, but this view is difficult (perhaps intentionally?) The thylacine is the upper skull as it clearly lacks the enlarged carnassial tooth (fourth premolar) of the wolf, as seen in all placental mammals in the order Carnivora (unless secondarily modified, as in the panda). The thylacine also has the marsupial pattern of 3 premolars and 4 molars. The wolf has at least 4 premolars that we can see in this view (unlike any known marsupial)

If we had other views, we could see many more differences. For example, the number of incisors. A total of six above and six below in the wolf (as in most placentals) as opposed to 10 above and 8 below in the thylacine (as in most marsupials).

If we were to view the lower jaw from the back, we would see that the thylacine had a distinct inturned flange on the base of the jaw, a distinctive feature of all marsupials, lacking in all placentals.

If we were to view the skulls from the palate (i.e., the top part of the skull turned upside down) we would see that the thylacine had holes in the palatal bones, typical of marsupials, not seen the wolf.

If we were to look in detail at the way that the bone arching below the eye was formed at the point of the jaw articulation, we would see that a certain bone (the jugal) formed part of the articulation for the jaw, as in all marsupials, but not in the wolf, as typical for placentals. (Actually you can see this if you look carefully)

If we viewed the skull from above we would see that the nasal bones of the thylacine formed a diamond shape at their posterior border, typical of marsupials, as opposed to the rectangular shape in the wolf typical of placentals.

Oh, I could go on and on, and I haven't even started yet on the postcranial skeleton or the internal anatomy. "Homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry?" Get an education in science rather than cut and pasting from creationist factoid websites:rolleyes:

PS. Things that birds and mammals share (to the exclusion of reptiles) are clearly convergences due to both being warmblooded, no problem there. (E.g., single aorta, but on the left in mammals, the right in birds, clearly derived independently.)

Oh, I could go on and on, and I haven't even started yet on the postcranial skeleton or the internal anatomy. "Homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry?" Get an education in science rather than cut and pasting from creationist factoid websites

I think the person you quoted would agree with everything you said. Are you sure you read that post correctly?

paleobarbie said:
Oh, I could go on and on, and I haven't even started yet on the postcranial skeleton or the internal anatomy. "Homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry?" Get an education in science rather than cut and pasting from creationist factoid websites:rolleyes:

Of course, because you are clearly an expert in the area. I think bobze (who is a med student!) is speaking towards the non-expert populace.

paleobarbie said:
Why yes, I could, but this view is difficult (perhaps intentionally?) The thylacine is the upper skull as it clearly lacks the enlarged carnassial tooth (fourth premolar) of the wolf, as seen in all placental mammals in the order Carnivora (unless secondarily modified, as in the panda). The thylacine also has the marsupial pattern of 3 premolars and 4 molars. The wolf has at least 4 premolars that we can see in this view (unlike any known marsupial)

If we had other views, we could see many more differences. For example, the number of incisors. A total of six above and six below in the wolf (as in most placentals) as opposed to 10 above and 8 below in the thylacine (as in most marsupials).

If we were to view the lower jaw from the back, we would see that the thylacine had a distinct inturned flange on the base of the jaw, a distinctive feature of all marsupials, lacking in all placentals.

If we were to view the skulls from the palate (i.e., the top part of the skull turned upside down) we would see that the thylacine had holes in the palatal bones, typical of marsupials, not seen the wolf.

If we were to look in detail at the way that the bone arching below the eye was formed at the point of the jaw articulation, we would see that a certain bone (the jugal) formed part of the articulation for the jaw, as in all marsupials, but not in the wolf, as typical for placentals. (Actually you can see this if you look carefully)

If we viewed the skull from above we would see that the nasal bones of the thylacine formed a diamond shape at their posterior border, typical of marsupials, as opposed to the rectangular shape in the wolf typical of placentals. Oh, I could go on and on, and I haven't even started yet on the postcranial skeleton or the internal anatomy.

Yes I am aware to the student of CVA or someone who is more than passingly familiar with gross anatomy, that such differences are many.

I'd echo Drakkith and Greg's posts though, perhaps you should read the topic from the beginning--Rather than jumping to conclusions and making assumptions (you know the whole ***/you situtation? :wink:)

The topic we were talking (again from the OP) was why mammals didn't evolve from birds, because the both lay "eggs"?

Specifically the post I was replying to was: "There are many features that birds and mammals share that do not exist in reptiles." Hence, highlighting this with the example to the poster; that to the untrained and the "layman" to biology--"Homology" (or better, "they look the same!") is a poor way to establish relatedness. You know, the reason we've collectively invested so much money in comparative genomics.
paleobarbie said:
"Homology does not necessarily indicate common ancestry?" Get an education in science rather than cut and pasting from creationist factoid websites:rolleyes:

Yes, have a couple thank you. And that is true statement for the reasons you elucidate below. Convergent traits fooled many a amateur and professional biologist. That is why, when using homology as a null hypothesis, one must be careful to ensure they are not constructing polyphyletic trees--Least our evolved disposition toward "seeing is believing" lead us astray. In fact a classic illustration of this mistake (and to keep this on-topic) is a avian/mammalian polyphyletic tree;

Polyphyletic-mammals-birds.svg.png

Which I'm sure you are aware, would be from not accounting for convergent traits--The OP however, didn't seem to be aware of this...

paleobarbie said:
PS. Things that birds and mammals share (to the exclusion of reptiles) are clearly convergences due to both being warmblooded, no problem there. (E.g., single aorta, but on the left in mammals, the right in birds, clearly derived independently.)

Yarp, got it thanks :biggrin:

1. Could mammals have evolved from birds?

While this is a common question, the current scientific understanding is that mammals and birds evolved from a common ancestor, but not from each other. The earliest known mammals and birds appeared around the same time period, but they evolved separately and developed different characteristics and adaptations.

2. What evidence supports the idea of mammals and birds having a common ancestor?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the presence of similar genetic sequences and developmental pathways in both mammals and birds. Additionally, fossil records show that both groups evolved from a common reptilian ancestor and share some physical characteristics such as warm-bloodedness and the presence of hair or feathers.

3. Are there any transitional fossils that support the idea of mammals evolving from birds?

While there are no known transitional fossils directly linking birds and mammals, there are transitional fossils of early mammal-like reptiles and early bird-like dinosaurs. These fossils show a gradual transition of traits and characteristics between the two groups, supporting the idea of a common ancestor.

4. What are some key differences between mammals and birds that make it unlikely for one to have evolved from the other?

Mammals and birds have distinct differences in their skeletal structures, reproductive systems, and respiratory systems. Mammals have a single jaw bone and three middle ear bones, while birds have a single middle ear bone and a unique skeletal structure for flight. Additionally, mammals give birth to live young and have mammary glands for nursing, while birds lay eggs and do not have mammary glands.

5. Is it possible for mammals and birds to have evolved from each other in the future?

The process of evolution is not linear and there is no guarantee that any two species will evolve from each other in the future. However, it is highly unlikely that mammals and birds will evolve from each other as they have already evolved separately for millions of years and have developed distinct and successful adaptations for their respective environments.