Using accelerometer sensor to determine speed of person

In summary, the accelerometer outputs an analog voltage in proportion to g's for the X and Y axes. The user is trying to use this data to manipulate sound when a person is 'running', but has problems with their formulas for speed.
cjn200
hello, I'm using an accelerometer (ADXL311) which outputs analog voltage in proportion to g's for X and Y axes. I'm trying to use this to manipulate sound when a person is 'running', basically as speed increases above a certain threshold, but having problems with my formulas for speed.

i've managed to graph these two actions with consistent visual results - it's visually clear when someone is running, etc., but haven't been able to correctly translate this into a usable formula. my known variables are gX, gY, time, and I'm assuming that i'll have to take periodic samples and calculate an average, but so far, I've managed nothing that makes sense.

can anyone help in a language for dummies? i can handle the electronics more or less, but had (embarrassingly enough :uhh:) to look the formula for speed.

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume that they output an acceleration over their time increment. Acceleration times that time increment is the change in speed over that increment. Add the change in speed over that increment to the starting speed and you have the new speed.

Where on the body did you attach the accelerometer. If it is on the feet or legs you will need to do something very different find the velocity of the running person.

Hi everybody,
I desperately need help!
I am using tri axial accelerometer to calculate speed during sprint. I tried calculating speed and the peak speed from this data is 30m/s (which is not at all possible). I hv data at every .02 secs. I attached the acceleromater on sacrum.
please help..

You have not given nearly enough information for anyone to help you.

How did you calculate the velocity that you have?

How did you collect and process the data?

hi thanks a tonn for the reply.
I have calculated the speed like this.
Calculation of velocity from discrete acceleration data:

Integral of acceleration will give velocity value. Since data given for acceleration is discrete so we have calculated velocity value at x direction (Vx) through integrating under discrete acceleration data at x direction by using MATLAB programme. Similarly Vy and Vz was calculated. Total velocity value will be sqrt(Vx*Vx + Vy*Vy + Vz*Vz)
I didnot process data but directly used it (though i saw a lot of noise in data but not sure how to process it). could you please tell me about the correct way of collecting data and processing it and the correct procedure of calculating it.
IT will be a great help

What is an accelerometer sensor?

An accelerometer sensor is a device that measures acceleration and movement in three directions: up/down, left/right, and forward/backward. It is commonly used in smartphones, fitness trackers, and other devices to detect movements and orientation.

How does an accelerometer sensor measure speed of a person?

An accelerometer sensor measures the acceleration of a person's body movements, which can then be used to calculate their speed. By tracking changes in acceleration over time, the sensor can determine how fast the person is moving.

What are the advantages of using an accelerometer sensor to determine speed of a person?

One advantage is that it is a non-invasive method, meaning it does not require any physical contact with the person being measured. It is also relatively accurate and can provide real-time data. Additionally, accelerometer sensors are small and affordable, making them easily accessible for research or personal use.

Are there any limitations to using an accelerometer sensor to determine speed of a person?

Yes, there are a few limitations. Accelerometer sensors are affected by external factors such as gravity and vibrations, which can impact the accuracy of the speed measurement. They also have a limited range of measurement, so they may not be suitable for very high speed activities.

How can the data from an accelerometer sensor be used to improve athletic performance?

The data from an accelerometer sensor can be used to track and analyze a person's movements during athletic activities. This can help identify areas for improvement and provide insights into technique and efficiency. Coaches and athletes can also use this data to monitor progress and make adjustments to training programs.