Irreducible polynomials over ring of integers

In summary, the polynomials of the form f_n= x^n+x^{n-1}+\cdots+x^{k+1}+ax^k+ax^{k-1}+\cdots+a, where \gcd(n+1,k+1)=1, a\in \mathbb{Z^{+}}, a is odd number, a>1, and a_1\neq 1, are irreducible over the ring of integers \mathbb{Z}. This is due to the fact that Eisenstein's Criterion cannot be applied to these polynomials. Furthermore, they can be rewritten as monic cyclotomic polynomials \Phin(x) in Z[x] with degree \varphi
pedja
Is it true that polynomials of the form :

[itex] f_n= x^n+x^{n-1}+\cdots+x^{k+1}+ax^k+ax^{k-1}+\cdots+a[/itex]

where [itex]\gcd(n+1,k+1)=1[/itex] , [itex] a\in \mathbb{Z^{+}}[/itex] , [itex]a[/itex] is odd number , [itex]a>1[/itex], and [itex]a_1\neq 1[/itex]

are irreducible over the ring of integers [itex]\mathbb{Z}[/itex]?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisenstein%27s_criterion" cannot be applied to the polynomials of this form.

Example :

The polynomial [itex]x^4+x^3+x^2+3x+3[/itex] is irreducible over the integers but none of the criteria above can be applied on this polynomial.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this helps.

The polynomial x4+x3+x2+x +1 is the cyclotomic polynomial [itex]\Phi[/itex]5(x). I believe the general polynomial that you described is also the monic cyclotomic polynomial [itex]\Phi[/itex]n(x) in Z[x] with degree [itex]\varphi[/itex](n). These polynomials are irreducible. The proof is a little tedious and not exactly immediate. Check out this paper

http://www.math.umn.edu/~garrett/m/algebra/notes/08.pdf

I think it does a pretty good job. Then again, if that general polynomial turns out to not be cyclotomic, I'll have to start over and come up with something new

These polynomials are not cyclotomic polynomials.
[itex]f_n[/itex] can be rewritten into form :

[itex]f_n=\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n x^{i}+(a-1)\cdot \displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^k x^{i} [/itex] ,or

[itex]f_n=\frac{x^{n+1}+(a-1)x^{k+1}-a}{x-1} [/itex]

Maybe if you give a different example it would be easier to see. I don't really see much of a correlation between the general case and the example you gave. Anyways, you can always fall back on the general technique for finding irreduciblity.

Let I be a proper ideal in the integral domain R and let p(x) be the monic polynomial in R[x]. If the image of p(x) in (R/I)[x] cannot be factored in (R/I)[x] into two polynomials of smaller dgree, then p(x) is irreducible in R[x].

Start reducing mod some n and see where that gets you. If it's small degree then it's pretty obvious. A higher degree will probably take a little work. Unfortunately, this technique doesn't always work, but I can't think of any other irreducibility criteria.

Wait I just thought of another one: Hilbert's Irreducibility Theorem.

Also Kronecker's Method

1. What are irreducible polynomials over ring of integers?

Irreducible polynomials over ring of integers are polynomials with integer coefficients that cannot be factored into polynomials with smaller degree and integer coefficients.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial is irreducible over ring of integers?

A polynomial is irreducible over ring of integers if it cannot be factored using integer coefficients and smaller degree polynomials. This can be determined by checking if the polynomial has any integer roots and using the Eisenstein's criterion.

3. What is the significance of irreducible polynomials over ring of integers?

Irreducible polynomials over ring of integers have important applications in algebraic number theory and cryptography. They are also used in constructing finite fields and in polynomial interpolation.

4. Can irreducible polynomials over ring of integers have complex roots?

No, since the coefficients of irreducible polynomials over ring of integers are integers, the roots must also be integers. Therefore, they cannot have complex roots.

5. How are irreducible polynomials over ring of integers related to prime numbers?

Irreducible polynomials over ring of integers can be used to generate prime numbers through the use of the prime number theorem. This theorem states that the number of irreducible polynomials with coefficients less than a given number is approximately equal to the number of primes less than that number.