Proving lim(n→∞)1/an=0 if lim(n→∞)an=0 is False

• Thread starter gregy6196
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the limit of 1/n as n goes to infinity is zero, and the limit of 1/a_n as a composition is also zero.
gregy6196
if lim(n→∞)an=0 then prove lim(n→∞)[itex]1/an[/itex]=0

how do i do this, i know how to proove it geometrically, but how do you write the proof using ε
and [itex]\delta[/itex]

Give a counter example to show that the converse is false.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There must be a typo here, for if an -> 0 then obviously 1/an -> infinity (if an>0, otherwise it may oscillate between +infinity and -infinity).

if lim(n→∞) an = ∞ then prove lim(n→∞) 1/an = 0 is what it shoud say say sorry. where an is a sequence

gregy6196 said:
if lim(n→∞) an = ∞ then prove lim(n→∞) 1/an = 0 is what it shoud say say sorry. where an is a sequence

What have you tried? We can't help until we see your attempt. The only hint I will give is to write out the definitions. What does [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \infty [/itex] mean? How about [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} 1/a_n = 0 [/itex]?

Why don't you first prove that the limit of 1/n as n goes to infinity is zero, and then consider the limit of 1/a_n as a composition?

i can prove it graphically but i don't know the deffinitions and this is not for assingnment, once someone shows me how its done then i can start my assignments, i need the basics first

gregy6196 said:
i can prove it graphically but i don't know the deffinitions and this is not for assingnment, once someone shows me how its done then i can start my assignments, i need the basics first

You can find the necessary definitions here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limit_of_a_sequence

thanks. can you please show me how to approach it

gregy6196 said:
thanks. can you please show me how to approach it

Here's the definition for [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \infty [/itex]. For any [itex]M > 0[/itex] there is positive integer N such that for any [itex] n \geq N [/itex], [itex] a_n > M [/itex].

Now you write out the definition for [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} 1/a_n = 0 [/itex] and try to see why [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \infty [/itex] implies [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} 1/a_n = 0 [/itex] from these definitions.

For any ε positive you should find an N s.t for all n>N |1/an - 0| < ε. You must show that it would suffice to do this for all ε = 1/m where m is an integer (exercise). Then since your sequence goes to infinity, you can find an N s.t for all n>N an > m hence 1/an < 1/m and then you are done (fill in the gaps if you want to understand the definition of limit).

thanks for this, can you please give a counter example to show the converse is false?

gregy6196 said:
thanks for this, can you please give a counter example to show the converse is false?

I think the converse is also true,here is a proof:

Let M>0,then (1/M)>0

Since [tex]lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{a_{n}}=0[/tex] for all ε>0 there exists a natural No k such that:

for all ,n [tex]n\geq k\Longrightarrow \frac{1}{a_{n}}<\epsilon[/tex].

Put [tex]\epsilon = \frac{1}{M}[/tex] and we have that :

for all ,n [tex] n\geq k\Longrightarrow \frac{1}{a_{n}}<\frac{1}{M}\Longleftrightarrow a_{n}>M[/tex]

Hence [tex]lim_{n\to\infty} a_{n} = \infty[/tex]

evagelos said:
\frac{1}{a_{n}}<\frac{1}{M}\Longleftrightarrow a_{n}>M[/tex]

This step is false:

[tex]\frac{1}{-2}<\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

but not

[tex]-2>2[/tex]

1. What does the statement "lim(n→∞)an=0 is False" mean?

The statement "lim(n→∞)an=0 is False" means that the limit of the sequence an does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity. In other words, the sequence does not converge to 0.

2. What is the significance of proving lim(n→∞)1/an=0 in this scenario?

Proving lim(n→∞)1/an=0 when lim(n→∞)an=0 is False is important because it shows that even though the sequence an does not converge to 0, the sequence 1/an does. This is known as the reciprocal property of limits, where if the limit of a sequence is non-zero, the limit of its reciprocal is 0.

3. How is the proof of lim(n→∞)1/an=0 different from proving lim(n→∞)an=0?

The proof of lim(n→∞)1/an=0 is different from proving lim(n→∞)an=0 because in the latter, we are trying to show that a sequence converges to a specific value (0). In the former, we are trying to show that the reciprocal of a sequence converges to 0, regardless of what the sequence itself converges to.

4. Can you provide an example of a sequence where lim(n→∞)an=0 is False but lim(n→∞)1/an=0 is True?

One example of such a sequence is an=1/n. Here, lim(n→∞)an=0 is False because the sequence does not converge to 0 (it approaches 0, but never reaches it). However, lim(n→∞)1/an=0 is True, as the reciprocal sequence 1/an becomes larger and larger as n approaches infinity, ultimately approaching 0.

5. Is the proof of lim(n→∞)1/an=0 applicable to all sequences where lim(n→∞)an=0 is False?

Yes, the proof of lim(n→∞)1/an=0 is applicable to all sequences where lim(n→∞)an=0 is False. This is because the reciprocal property of limits holds for any nonzero limit. Therefore, if the limit of a sequence is not 0, the limit of its reciprocal will always be 0.