Force required to break the atomic bond

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to the strength of the H-O atomic bond. The first question asks about the force required to break the bond, while the second question asks about the minimum distance needed to separate the H and O atoms to consider the bond broken. The conversation also mentions attempting to calculate the bond force using different methods, such as comparing it to breaking a thin iron bar and using Coulomb's law. The ultimate goal is to determine the strength of the comic character Silver Surfer, who claimed to have atomic strength.
h1a8
I have a two questions.

1. What is the force (not energy) required to break the H-O atomic bond?
2. What is the minimum additional distance required to separate the H from the O to consider the bond broken?

From this table I see that the energy of the bond is 459000J/mol and the radius of the bond is 9.6 x 10-11 m.
What I first tried (I know it is mostly likely wrong though) was take the energy per mole number and divide it by the radius to get the force per mole. Then I divided that by Avogadro's number to get the force per bond.

Thinking that was incorrect I decided to try the concept of
Force to break = tensile strength x cross sectional area.

That is to say, I compared it to breaking by pulling apart a thin iron bar. I know Young's modulus comes into play here so that's why I guessed I need to know how much further I must separate the H atom from the O atom to consider the bond being broken.

I know this calculation may not be possible or practical but all I need is a lower limit (estimate). Meaning, I want to know X in the inequality Force required is > or = X. To be honest, my main purpose for this is to determine how strong the comic character Silver Surfer was when he claimed to amp his strength to atomic strength. He is 225lb at a height of 6' 4" so I figured he has approximate density of water, which is why I chose the H-O bond instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a rough calculation I would use Coulonmb's law
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

and use the separation as that between a sodium ion and a chlorine ion in an ionic bond.
Coulomb's law requires point charges which the sodium and chlorine ions are definitely not when they approach their ionic molecular distance so you will have some error.

For H-O , the bond is covalent.

For a metallic bond, as you mentioned, you have the tensile strength, cross sectional area and atomic radius. You should be able to calculate some bond force there also,

Compare this to the ionic and let us know what you get.

1. How is the force required to break an atomic bond determined?

The force required to break an atomic bond is determined by a combination of factors such as the type of bond, the distance between atoms, and the strength of the individual bonds between atoms.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the force required to break an atomic bond?

The force required to break an atomic bond is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or Joules (J).

3. Can the force required to break an atomic bond vary?

Yes, the force required to break an atomic bond can vary depending on the type of bond and the atoms involved. Some bonds may require more force to break than others.

4. How does temperature affect the force required to break an atomic bond?

Generally, an increase in temperature can decrease the force required to break an atomic bond. This is because higher temperatures cause atoms to vibrate more, making it easier for them to break apart.

5. Is the force required to break an atomic bond the same for all types of bonds?

No, the force required to break an atomic bond can vary depending on the type of bond. For example, ionic bonds typically require more force to break than covalent bonds.