Developing Direct Simulation Monte Carlo and I have problem

In summary: DSMC code.In summary, the conversation discusses the development of Direct Simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC) and the validation process for the code. The speaker mentions checking viscosity in Couette Flow at certain simulation conditions and notes that the obtained viscosity is lower than the experimental value. The speaker also mentions considering cell size as a possible cause and seeking advice on how to validate the code. They mention trying to find open source DSMC programs and comparing results to exact viscosity, and are advised to use OpenFoam as a benchmark. The conversation concludes with the speaker thanking for the advice and mentioning their plan to modify the code and validate it using OpenFoam.
Noh-hoon Lee
Please understand my low command of English.

I'm developing Direct Simulation Monte Carlo and I'm now validating.

To validate my DSMC code, I'm checking the viscosity in Couette Flow.

Simulation Condition is, Kn = 0.0056(Near Continuum) and Gas is Nitrogen, Temperature is 273K.

Nitrogen viscosity is approximately 1.656e-5 but in my simulation, viscosity is now 1.5e-5.

I can't understand why viscosity is lower than experimental value.

I have thougt it is caused by cell size. But I set the cellsize as half or quarter of mean free path.

It is common value of DSMC simulation.

I'm now wating for your advice :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, instead of experiment, you should compare your results to someone else's simulation done with the same parameters. Search for some open source DSMC programs and use them as a benchmark.

I try to find some thesis or simulation data but It was hard to find that.
I found DSMC-IP data but I need DSMC data. DSMC data is too hard to find.
So I try to compare my result to exact viscosity

Thank you for your help. I'll try to use OpenFoam and to modify the code to get the viscosity data. You show me the way

1. What is Direct Simulation Monte Carlo (DSMC)?

DSMC is a computational method used in statistical mechanics to simulate the behavior of rarefied gas flows. It is based on the Monte Carlo method and is used to model the interactions between individual gas molecules in a given system.

2. How is a DSMC simulation developed?

A DSMC simulation is developed by breaking down the system into small cells and assigning gas molecules to each cell. The simulation then calculates the movement and collisions of these molecules based on their velocities and positions.

3. What are some common challenges in developing a DSMC simulation?

Some common challenges in developing a DSMC simulation include accurately modeling the interactions between gas molecules, dealing with high computational costs, and accurately representing the rarefied nature of the gas flow.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my DSMC simulation?

There are several ways to improve the accuracy of a DSMC simulation, such as increasing the number of cells in the system, using more sophisticated collision models, and using higher-order numerical methods.

5. What are some common problems that arise in DSMC simulations?

Some common problems that arise in DSMC simulations include convergence issues, numerical instabilities, and difficulties in accurately representing complex geometries. It is important to carefully validate and troubleshoot the simulation to ensure reliable results.