Please help me compile a list of phenomenal dualities?

• Thread starter david findley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of duality in physics and how it can be applied to different phenomena. The participants mention various examples of duality, such as space-time, electro-magnetism, wave-particle, and light-matter. They also discuss the varying definitions and interpretations of duality. The conversation concludes with a list of possible dualisms in physics, including AdS/CFT correspondence, mirror symmetry, and string duality.
david findley
Experimenting with theoretical systems, it is important that I am aware of all possible dualities that physics concerns itself with. Such as:

Space-Time duality
Electro-Magnetic duality
Wave-Particle duality
Light-Matter duality (QED?)

...and so on.

Would anyone care to offer anything else that may be acknowledged as a dualism?...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Space-Time isn't really a duality, neither is electro-magnetic. Both are different parts of a larger thing, but in neither case is it two different ways of looking at the same thing.

Wave-Particle and Light-Matter is also really the same thing, but that's more semantics.

This depends on what you mean by "Duality". Depending on your definition one can include many things, or only a few.

Electrical and mechanical
• Duality (electrical circuits), regarding isomorphism of electrical circuits
• Duality (mechanical engineering), regarding isomorphism of some mechanical laws
Physics
• AdS/CFT correspondence, (anti de Sitter/conformal field theory correspondence), sometimes called the Maldacena duality
• Dual resonance model
• Duality (electricity and magnetism)
• Englert–Greenberger duality relation
• Holographic duality
• Kramers–Wannier duality
• List of dualities (physics)
• Mirror symmetry
• Montonen–Olive duality
• Mysterious duality
• String duality is a class of symmetries
• S-duality
• T-duality
• U-duality
• Wave–particle duality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duality

The goal should be to list any phenomena that could possibly be considered a dualism, in any contextual reference of the term. That is, in any way possible.

How interesting, to refuse Space-Time any sense of duality. And electromagnetism as well... Is it not the case that elecromagnetism has a distinct, dual nature, (it's electric and magnetic aspects) and thus be acknowledged in terms of a dualism?

But you're right, to argue the case is merely to dispute over semantics. So, please, 'dualism' in any way in which it might be understood.

I'd say Bobby's list is fairly complete, as Drakkith said it really all matters what you use the word duality to mean.

Just to explain what I said, I was taught duality to be applied in situations where multiple completely different approaches are equal valid, or are required to compliment each other. Spacial Dimensions and Temporal Dimensions (in the case of space-time) are two different aspects to the structure of our universe, but I wouldn't call their connection a duality, they are simply two sides to the same coin. The same with Electrostatic-Magnetism; they are two results of a single underlying force, not two different ways of looking at the same thing.

1. What is a duality?

A duality is a concept in which two seemingly contradictory or opposite ideas or entities are interconnected and dependent on each other.

2. What are some examples of phenomenal dualities?

Examples of phenomenal dualities include light and darkness, good and evil, yin and yang, mind and body, and nature and nurture.

3. How do dualities impact our lives?

Dualities can shape our perceptions, behaviors, and experiences. They can also serve as a source of balance and harmony in our lives.

4. Can dualities be resolved or overcome?

While dualities may seem conflicting, they are ultimately interconnected and interdependent. They cannot be fully resolved or overcome, but rather must be embraced and balanced.

5. How can understanding dualities contribute to scientific advancements?

By recognizing and studying dualities, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the complex and interconnected nature of the world and use this knowledge to make new discoveries and advancements in various fields of science.