Calculus Help: Diff. y= (int. a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt & y=log base x (2x)

• Thread starter Yapper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation was about finding derivatives and using the fundamental formula of Leibniz & Newton to solve calculus problems. The conversation also touched on using LaTex to make mathematical expressions clearer.
Yapper
I am studying for a Calculus test and I need some help withsome concepts...

1) The problem is find the derivatie of y= (integral a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt. I went into my book and found a formula for it. The derivative of (intergral a=constant b=x of) f(t) dt = f(x). So I got (sinx)^3 is this right? If so can someone explain this concept and provide a proof for it? My textbook isn't good at explaining things...

2)The problem is to differentiate y=log base x (2x). So I chamged it to ln2x/lnx from there can i just use divison rule? u'v -uv'/v^2? in that case would it be (lnx/x-ln2x/x)/(lnx)^2?

Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
1: is your derivative repect to x or t? this make a huge different
2: you are perfectly correct...

y= (integral a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt, so the differential unit is t, since it is dt, I am guessing, that's all the information i was given

Yapper said:
y= (integral a=1 b=sinx of) t^3 dt, so the differential unit is t, since it is dt, I am guessing, that's all the information i was given

Then it's wrong.Compute the antiderivative of the integrand and apply the fundamental formula of Leibniz & Newton.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Then it's wrong.Compute the antiderivative of the integrand and apply the fundamental formula of Leibniz & Newton.

Daniel.

No clue what you just said...

How do I use LaTex to make it clearer?

OK, your integrand is t^3 and the limit is from 1 to sinx... right?
Here is how u do the derivative of this monster...
if it is repect to t.. do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in... and do the derivative
if it is repect to x.. do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in... and do the derivative

basically, what you going to do is do the integral and substitude 1 and sinx in... and do the derivative, OK?

but if the derivative is repect to t, the result is trivial...

I don't understand... I do the integral and I get t^4/4 substitutre for sinx and do the derivative I get sinx^3cosx is that right?

Yapper said:
How do I use LaTex to make it clearer?

There's a compiler that will "translate" all code lines u type in the window in which u write the message.Use the function "preview post" to check formulas for typos.

The result is trivial.It can be shown that
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}{\int_{const.}^{f(x)} u(t) dt =u(f(x))f'(x) [/tex]

I still reccomend to you to do the integration and then the differentiation and confront with the result my formula gives you.

Daniel.

[tex] \frac{d}{dx}{\int_{const.}^{f(x)} u(t) dt =u(f(x)) \frac{d}{dx}f(x)[/tex]

Oh ok... my books says g(x) = (intergral from a constant to x of) f(t) dt, then g'(x) = f(x)

Thanks for all the help! and is there a website or a help file that has the code?

Last edited:
Yapper said:
Thanks for all the help! and is there a website or a help file that has the code for the tex imputs?

Our own enormous thread about it here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

The first post in this thread has links to external sources about LaTeX

Yapper said:
Thanks for all the help! and is there a website or a help file that has the code for the tex imputs?

Yes,PF is one of them.Check out the "sticky" in the General Physics forum called "Intriducing LaTex typesetting".U'll find amog those posts a link to a ".pdf"file with the code.
Quicker version.Click (left) on one of the formulas in this (and any other one) thread and u'll be opened (if u don't have a pop-up blocker) a new window with the code for that specific formula and a link to the ".pdf" file with the code.

And it's "inputs"... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What is the purpose of calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is a powerful tool for understanding and modeling continuous change, and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while integration is the process of finding the accumulation of a function. In other words, differentiation calculates the slope of a curve at a given point, while integration calculates the area under the curve.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

4. What is the purpose of the integral sign in calculus?

The integral sign, ∫, is used to represent the process of integration. It indicates that we are finding the area under a curve, and it also shows the limits of integration, which specify the range of values over which the integration is performed.

5. How do you solve the given calculus problem: y=log base x (2x)?

To solve this problem, we need to use the properties of logarithms. First, we can rewrite the expression as y=log₂(2x)/log₂(x). Then, we can use the quotient rule of logarithms to simplify the expression to y=log₂2 + log₂x - log₂x = log₂2. Therefore, the solution is y=log₂2.