Alanis Morissette's Song: Knees of my Bees

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: Furthermore, there seems to be some kind of magical quality to this person which causes people to either swoon or feel like jelly. As someone who has never had this kind of effect on others, it's hard to say if this is an accurate portrayal or not.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does that title have any specific meaning?

The lyrics of this song by Alanis Morissette puzzle me :confused:
We share a culture same vernacular
Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents
For sticky and raspy, unearthed and then gone

You are a gift renaissance with a wink
With tendencies for conversations that raise bars
You are a sage who is fueled by compassion
Comes to nooks and crannies as balm for all stars

You make the knees of my bees weak, tremble and buckle
You make the knees of my bees weak

You are a spirit that knows of no limit
That knows of no ceiling who baulks at dead-ends
You are a wordsmith who cares for his brothers
Not seduced by illusion or fair-weather friends

You are a vision who lives by the signals of
Stomach and intuition as your guide
You are a sliver of god on a platter
Who walks what he talks and who cops when he's lied

Physics news on Phys.org
Alanis Morissette's lyrics are widely regarded as "utter cobblers".

There is an old expression "the bees knees". If something is "the bees knees" it's good. Maybe she got it from that and twisted it into something that makes no sense. :confused:

"We share a culture same vernacular" and "You are a wordsmith" could hint that it was some sort of inside joke-ish kind of thing between them. Barring that, it just looks like a pun on the colloquial expressions "the bees' knees" and "you make me weak in the knees."

It is obvious that the person she is singing about has such charisma and massive butt that even the knees of Alanis' pet bees turned to jelly. Bee owners see this phenomneon all the time. I have been told that a visit by Dolly Parton to Somerset in 1974 crippled the honey market there for two consecutive years.

1. What is the meaning behind the lyrics of "Knees of my Bees"?

The song is open to interpretation, but many people interpret the lyrics as a metaphor for feeling overwhelmed and unable to move forward in life. The bees represent thoughts and worries buzzing around in one's mind, while the knees represent feeling stuck and unable to take action.

2. Is "Knees of my Bees" based on personal experiences of Alanis Morissette?

It is not confirmed, but many fans believe that the song is based on Alanis' personal experiences. She has not publicly spoken about the inspiration behind the song.

3. What genre does "Knees of my Bees" belong to?

The song is considered alternative rock, with elements of folk and pop. It is a departure from Alanis' previous work, which was more focused on the alternative rock and grunge genres.

4. Was "Knees of my Bees" a successful single for Alanis Morissette?

While it was not as successful as some of her other singles, "Knees of my Bees" did reach number 34 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and was well-received by critics.

5. Does "Knees of my Bees" have any significant live performances?

The song has been included in most of Alanis' live performances since its release in 2004. She also performed it during her "Jagged Little Pill Acoustic" tour in 2005, where she stripped down the song to just vocals and guitar.

Back