Is a Science Career Right for Me? Finding Your Fit in the World of Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interests in science, specifically Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, but not classical mechanics. They also express a desire to ask questions and conduct experiments, but are unsure if they are suited for a research career or which science field to pursue. They are curious if there are any tests or guides that can help them make this decision, but it is mentioned that such tests may not be helpful. The conversation also touches on the topic of personality tests and how they may not accurately determine one's suitability for a certain career. The speaker ultimately believes that it is important to do what they personally want to do, rather than conforming to societal expectations.
scilover89
I like science(at least I think so), but I don't like every part of it equally. For example, I like Relativity and QM, but I don't really like mechanic.
I like to ask question and do experiment, but I wonder whether I suit the research career, or which science field. Are there any test or guide that can be helpful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tests and guides are rarely helpful. You might want to look into an internship in a certain field to know whether or not that's where you want to go into. Other than that, you bassically have all of your first and second year of college to figure it out. You can never be too sure.

i wondered the same things because i have given a couple of tests at shrinks offcies regarding personality aptitude iq etc. and i have got a result that indicates that though my iq is high enough for science, my personality which is extroverted and sportsy and outdoorsy, is not suited for it, then my school cousellor has the gall to tell me (as if we were in a communist society), that see here, wen we look for scientists we generally look out for introverted people, blah blah blah, i am ready to spend my life at a microscope doing research on genetics, so its all about what YOU want to do,

You like relativity, but you hate mechanics?

That makes no sense at all.

JasonRox said:
You like relativity, but you hate mechanics?

That makes no sense at all.

Maybe he means he likes the concepts, but doesn't like to do the maths..? :uhh:

scilover89 said:
I like Relativity and QM, but I don't really like mechanic.
I like to ask question and do experiment, . . .
Can you elaborate on this statement.

Do you mean that you like the application of Special Relativity (SR) and Quantum Mechanics, but you do not like Classical Mechanics (or Statics and Dynamics).

As JasonRox pointed out, the statement as written is somewhat puzzling. It is difficult to avoid 'mechanics' in SR or QM.

scilover89 said:
I like science(at least I think so), but I don't like every part of it equally. For example, I like Relativity and QM, but I don't really like mechanic.
I like to ask question and do experiment, but I wonder whether I suit the research career, or which science field. Are there any test or guide that can be helpful?

classical mechanics you mean?

NeoVision said:
i wondered the same things because i have given a couple of tests at shrinks offcies regarding personality aptitude iq etc. and i have got a result that indicates that though my iq is high enough for science, my personality which is extroverted and sportsy and outdoorsy, is not suited for it, then my school cousellor has the gall to tell me (as if we were in a communist society), that see here, wen we look for scientists we generally look out for introverted people, blah blah blah, i am ready to spend my life at a microscope doing research on genetics, so its all about what YOU want to do,

That's the problem with those Meyer-Briggs personality tests. Imagine if everyone of the same "personality" ended up at the same sets of careers. Things would be extremely dull. Unfortunately, shrinks, career counselors, and human resource departments take the results way too seriously.

1. What skills are required for a career in science?

The skills required for a career in science depend on the specific field you are interested in. However, some common skills include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, data analysis, and communication. Additionally, having a strong foundation in math and science subjects is essential.

2. Is a science career financially rewarding?

The financial rewards of a science career vary depending on the specific field and level of education. Generally, science careers have a higher earning potential than many other industries. However, the amount of financial reward also depends on factors such as experience, location, and job position.

3. What are the job prospects for a career in science?

Job prospects in the field of science are generally favorable, as there is a growing demand for professionals in various scientific fields. With advancements in technology, there is a need for individuals with specialized skills and knowledge to drive innovation and solve complex problems.

4. What are the educational requirements for a career in science?

The educational requirements for a science career vary depending on the specific field and job position. Most careers in science require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. However, for more advanced positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be necessary.

5. What are some potential career paths in science?

There are numerous career paths in the field of science, including research, teaching, healthcare, environmental conservation, and technology. Some specific job titles in science include biologist, chemist, physicist, data scientist, and environmental engineer. The possibilities are endless, and you can explore different paths to find the one that suits your interests and skills.