Heat equation in 2-space

In summary, the problem involves finding linear transformations of the form (x,y) = a(x',y') that can reduce a coefficient at the Laplacian to unity. This is done by comparing the unprimed and primed Laplacians and using the chain rule. The transformation should have four arbitrary constants.
stripes

Homework Statement

For the heat equation in two space variables find all the linear transformations of the form (x,y) = a(x',y') for real number a such that

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \frac{k}{\sigma}\Delta u \Leftrightarrow \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = \Delta'v[/itex]

where u(x,y,t) = v(x',y',t) and Δ' is the Laplacian with respect to the primed coordinates.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I hate to say it so early in the semester, but I have not a clue where to start. This is a fourth year course with second year prerequisites, and I've satisfied all the prerequisites, but why do I find that I don't even know where to begin? I guess what has me stumped is the fact that the question is very open ended. Also, I'm not sure where the sigma constant has come from.

So after staring at it for a while, I figure I should write out the Laplacian for a function in 2 space, and then start manipulating it? Since t is not a spatial variable, how do I account for that? But the Tex stuff written about is just information that we know to be true, how do I use it to find linear transformations? I'm only familiar with linear transformations within the topics of linear algebra and I don't think my mathematical maturity allows me to extend what I learned in that course to other courses. In other words, I may have taken courses that have covered these topics before, but I can't really put it all together. Any help on where to start would be appreciated. I have two more heat equation questions to do so I'm a bit worried. Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
What the problem tells you is that a coefficient at the Laplacian can be reduced to unity by a linear transformation of the spatial variables. You need to find this transformation.

Start by writing down the general form of the linear transformation (it should have four arbitrary constants). Then apply the chain rule to the unprimed Laplacian and compare that with the primed Laplacian.

1. What is the heat equation in 2-space?

The heat equation in 2-space is a mathematical model that describes the flow of heat through a two-dimensional medium over time. It is a partial differential equation that relates the temperature of a point in space to its neighbors, and it is commonly used in physics and engineering to study heat transfer phenomena.

2. How is the heat equation in 2-space different from the 1-dimensional version?

The heat equation in 2-space is a more complex version of the 1-dimensional heat equation because it takes into account both the spatial and temporal variations of temperature. In the 1-dimensional version, temperature is only a function of one variable (usually time), while in 2-space, it is a function of both time and two spatial variables.

3. What is the physical significance of the heat equation in 2-space?

The heat equation in 2-space is a fundamental tool for understanding and predicting heat transfer processes in various physical systems. It is used to model phenomena such as heat conduction, diffusion, and convection, and it has applications in fields such as materials science, thermodynamics, and meteorology.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving the heat equation in 2-space?

The boundary conditions for solving the heat equation in 2-space typically include the initial temperature distribution, the material properties of the medium, and the boundary conditions on the edges of the domain. These boundary conditions are essential for accurately predicting the behavior of the system over time.

5. What are some numerical methods for solving the heat equation in 2-space?

There are several numerical methods for solving the heat equation in 2-space, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. These methods use discretization techniques to approximate the heat equation and solve it numerically, allowing for the simulation of complex heat transfer phenomena in various physical systems.