Relativistic index notation del-operator

In summary, according to the conversation, the following is true:-In 4D flat spacetime, it should be 4.-With the way I normally think, I should have:-\partial_{\mu} x^{\mu}=4
arwright3
Hi,

I've been wondering about this forever and I finally decided to ask on the forums. In relativistic index notation (with c= [itex]\hbar[/itex] =1) with the minkowski metric g[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]\nu[/itex]=diag(1,-1,-1,-1), the 4-vector [itex]x^{\mu}=(t,x,y,z)=(x^0,\vec{x})[/itex], and with the del operator defined as [itex]\partial_{\mu}\equiv \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}=(\partial_{t},\nabla)[/itex]. I should have that:
[itex]\partial^{\mu} x_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} x^{\mu}=1[/itex]
but this is inconsistent with the way I usually think of vector calc because I should have
[itex]\partial_{\mu} x^{\mu}=\partial_{t}t+\nabla\bullet\vec{x}[/itex]
and
[itex]\partial_{t}t=1[/itex]
[itex]\nabla\bullet\vec{x}=3[/itex]
so, with the way I normally think, I should have:
[itex]\partial_{\mu} x^{\mu}=4[/itex]
Where am I going wrong here?

-Adam

P.S. all of this notation is straight out of Peskin and Schroeder's QFT text

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not going wrong at all. In 4D flat spacetime, it should be 4.

Hi arwright3! It's because there is an implied summation involved so [itex]\partial _{\mu }x^{\mu } = \partial _{0}x^{0} + \partial _{1}x^{1} + \partial _{2}x^{2} + \partial _{3}x^{3} = 4[/itex]. Don't forget when you have an index on the top and the same index on the bottom there is an implied summation! Cheers!

Thanks for your help! One more quick question. Can someone derive this:
[itex]\partial^{\mu} x^{\nu}=g^{\mu \nu}[/itex]?

P.S. I'm trying to pick up this 4-vector stuff on my own because I need it for QFT and I never had an undergrad class in special relativity. If anyone has a suggestion for a good resource I'd appreciate it. I've read a few pdfs that I found with various google searches, and I understand how the Lorentz transformations work and everything, but what I'd really like is something that explains what is and is not allowed when working with four-vectors. There are many derivations in my QFT book that are ~2 lines long and I don't know how to work out the intermediate steps. Most of these things have nothing to do with QFT, even the classical E&M field equations/lagrangian are hard for me to understand and work with in their index notation form.

[itex]\partial _{\mu }x^{\nu } = \delta _{\mu }^{\nu }[/itex] so [itex]g^{\sigma \mu }\partial _{\mu }x^{\nu } = \partial ^{\sigma }x^{\nu } = g^{\sigma \mu }\delta _{\mu }^{\nu } = g^{\sigma \nu }[/itex] and you can just relabel sigma to nu from there if you would like. I have a good book for you that gives you a ton of practice with 4 - vectors and Einstein summation and tensor calculus and all the other fun stuff which I will pm to you however I have never done QFT so I do not know the depth at which you need to know these things - I am basing it off of what I know from GR.

Thanks, that's very nice of you. and BTW I like your profile picture!

-Adam

arwright3 said:
Thanks, that's very nice of you. and BTW I like your profile picture!

-Adam
All hail the mighty zep =D

1. What is the "Relativistic index notation del-operator"?

The "Relativistic index notation del-operator" is a mathematical notation used in the theory of relativity to represent the four-dimensional gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field.

2. How is the "Relativistic index notation del-operator" different from the traditional notation?

The "Relativistic index notation del-operator" uses a four-dimensional index notation, while the traditional notation uses three-dimensional vector calculus. This allows for a more compact and elegant representation of equations in the theory of relativity.

3. What are the advantages of using the "Relativistic index notation del-operator"?

One advantage is that it allows for easier manipulation of equations in the theory of relativity. It also provides a more intuitive and concise representation of mathematical concepts, making it easier to understand and use in calculations.

4. Can the "Relativistic index notation del-operator" be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, the "Relativistic index notation del-operator" can also be applied in other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. It is a powerful tool for representing and solving equations in multidimensional spaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "Relativistic index notation del-operator"?

One limitation is that it may be more challenging to visualize and understand for those who are not familiar with index notation. It also may not be suitable for use in certain applications that require traditional vector calculus notation.