Dependence of exchange interaction on system size in Ising model

In summary, the conversation discusses the Ising model in a binary system, where the energy, spins, and exchange interaction are related through a specific equation. The conversation also mentions that the values of JAA, JBB, and JAB may change with system size, but this depends on the boundary conditions. The system is described as inhomogeneous, with different exchange interactions between atoms A and B.
cosmicraga
In the well known Ising model, without any external field (H=0), the energy (E), spins (s) and exchange interaction (J) are related as in the following equation
$$
E = -\sum_{<ij>}J_{ij}s_{i}s_{j}
$$

Jij is site dependent and consists of three components JAA, JBB and JABwhere A is say up spin and B is down spin on a lattice (say SL).

For a material of type AxB1-x with system size N = 100 (N is number of spins), I know the values of JAA, JBB and JAB. Here JAA=E(x=1)/nAA and JBB=E(x=0)/nBB are constant for any x. JAB changes with x. nAA is number of AA bonds.

E(x=1) means Energy of the system when x=1 for AxB1-x material, i.e. Energy of the system when the system consists of only up spins (all A). Similarly E(x=0) means energy of the system when there is only down spins (all B).

x is composition, x=0.25 means 25% of N is A spins and rest are B spins.

**Queston 1**: If I increase my system size N to 200, then shall the values of JAA, JBB and JAB change?

**Question 2**: If the values of JAA, JBB and JAB change with N, then with what factor shall I increase it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Um this is confusing.
You are describing a system where J is spin dependent. This might be written as
[tex]E = -\sum_{<ij>}J_{ij}(s_i,s_j)s_is_j[/tex]
This is NOT the Ising model. The Ising model has a constant J which is independent of the spin. But you are also describing a system which lacks some fundamental symmetries, so it's very confusing.

It sounds like what you want to describe is an inhomogeneous system, where you have two types of atoms, A and B. The exchange interaction is different between different types of atoms, which is why you have three values for J. This is an Ising model for a binary system.

Usually the answer to your question 1 is no. J is generally regarded as a microscopic interaction parameter which is rather localized and it is not affected by the extent of the system. But you have not specified your boundary conditions. If you have some sort of surface, the value of J might be different at the surface. If you are using periodic boundary conditions then J should not change.

>> $$ E = -\sum_{<ij>}J_{ij}(s_i,s_j)s_is_j $$

Yes, this is better representation.

>> This is an Ising model for a binary system.

Yes, you are right.

>> But you have not specified your boundary conditions.

Yes, I am using periodic boundary condition in all directions.

Thanks for your answer. :)

Last edited:

1. How does the system size affect the exchange interaction in Ising model?

The exchange interaction in Ising model is directly proportional to the number of particles in the system. As the system size increases, the number of interactions between particles also increases, resulting in a stronger exchange interaction.

2. Is there a limit to the system size where the exchange interaction becomes negligible?

Yes, when the system size becomes very large, the exchange interaction approaches zero. This is because at large distances, the interaction between particles becomes weaker and eventually becomes negligible compared to other forces in the system.

3. How does the dependence of exchange interaction on system size affect the critical temperature in Ising model?

The critical temperature, at which a phase transition occurs, is affected by the dependence of exchange interaction on system size. As the system size increases, the critical temperature also increases, meaning that larger systems require higher temperatures for a phase transition to occur.

4. Can the dependence of exchange interaction on system size be used to predict the behavior of larger systems?

Yes, the dependence of exchange interaction on system size can be used to predict the behavior of larger systems. This is because the exchange interaction is a fundamental force that governs the behavior of particles in a system, and as the system size increases, this force becomes more dominant.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the dependence of exchange interaction on system size?

Yes, other factors such as external magnetic fields, temperature, and the type of material can also affect the dependence of exchange interaction on system size. These factors can alter the strength and behavior of the exchange interaction, leading to different results in different systems.