Can Vienna Sausages really kill cockroaches?

• Thread starter Helios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the can of Vienna Sausages apparently attracts cockroaches, who die after crawling into the can and ingesting the sodium nitrite.
Helios
Empty a can of Vienna Sausages, except for the broth that remains. Leave it out, in the upright position, for your cockroaches. You will find that they crawl into the can and die, and so many victims there are. The question is why. They apparently do not attempt to crawl out because there are none dead on their backs. They're all face down. I looked at the ingredients: meat products, spices, and sodium nitrite. I don't know why it works but it's a great discovery!

Biology news on Phys.org
How did you discover this?

It looks like the roaches are attracted to the can contents - so either they get stuck and drown or there is something in the tins that is toxic to them. (Or someone is playing a joke.)

Sodium Nitrite is toxic.
Maybe it contains salt or some other preservative in high-ish quantities?

What are the "spices"?
Could there be an undeclared preservative in there too?
Is the food acidic? Do they use an acidity regulator?
Does it work with all brands or are some better than others?
Is the experiment repeatable?

I think there are too many variables to tell.

Helios said:
Empty a can of Vienna Sausages, except for the broth that remains. Leave it out, in the upright position, for your cockroaches. You will find that they crawl into the can and die, and so many victims there are. The question is why. They apparently do not attempt to crawl out because there are none dead on their backs. They're all face down. I looked at the ingredients: meat products, spices, and sodium nitrite. I don't know why it works but it's a great discovery!

The way you describe the situation,
THEY HAVE FALLEN AND CAN NOT GET OUT.
This would be the way the tar pits worked.

Intelligence is not the most endearing trait of roaches. But, they do the 'be fruitful and multiply' thing with great efficiency. My guess is they get a lethal dose of sodium compounds from the sausages.

Helios said:
It's an intriguing discovery, certainly. This seems to have a big advantage over conventional poisons---the victims of Vienna Sausages presumably being safe to feed to birds and lizards! http://imageshack.com/a/img29/6853/xn4n.gif [Broken]

I might give it a try next summer.

Does it also work on mice & rats, have you noticed? :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the most effective cockroach killer on the market?

The most effective cockroach killer on the market is a matter of personal preference and may vary depending on the severity of the infestation. However, some commonly recommended options include boric acid, diatomaceous earth, and professional grade insecticides.

2. Are cockroach killers safe for humans and pets?

Most cockroach killers are designed to be safe for humans and pets when used according to the instructions on the label. However, it is important to always use caution and keep these products out of reach of children and pets.

3. How do cockroach killers work?

Cockroach killers typically work by either physically killing the cockroaches upon contact or by disrupting their nervous system and causing them to die shortly after ingestion. Some products may also have a residual effect, continuing to kill any cockroaches that come in contact with the treated area.

4. What are some natural alternatives to commercial cockroach killers?

Some natural alternatives to commercial cockroach killers include using essential oils like peppermint or eucalyptus, creating DIY traps with sugar and baking soda, or using a mixture of vinegar and water to repel cockroaches.

5. How can I prevent cockroach infestations in the future?

To prevent cockroach infestations, it is important to maintain a clean and clutter-free living space, seal any potential entry points, and fix any moisture issues that may attract cockroaches. Regularly using cockroach killers as a preventative measure can also help keep infestations at bay.