Advice on dissertation writing - should i write my own description for

In summary, it is recommended to use the original caption that comes with a picture in a dissertation, and explain why it is relevant to the topic. However, if necessary, one can also include their own interpretation of the picture, while properly citing the source.
rwooduk
Hope this is in the right place, please could someone who is familiar with writing dissertations tell me if I should use my own words underneath the Figures I have included?

For example if I have taken a graph from a paper is it ok to take the description below it also, or should I write my own interpretation below it?

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any caption is part of the picture. You should use the caption that was with the picture and, in the body of the dissertation, explain why it is relevant to your topic and, of course, tell where you got the picture and attribute it to the author of the paper from which you got it.

Many thanks for the reply! Yes that's what I have at present, although many papers I have read will have a graph from a source and have their own description underneath it, so I was a little confused.

But thanks again!

I think it can go either way. Sometimes the original caption can be irrelevant to the context of the work you're presenting.

Choppy said:
I think it can go either way. Sometimes the original caption can be irrelevant to the context of the work you're presenting.

ok, think I will go with using the relevant information that is given (with citation) and if necessary including my own interpretation relevant to the topic.

Thanks again!

1. What is the importance of writing my own description for my dissertation?

Writing your own description for your dissertation is important because it allows you to clearly articulate the main focus and purpose of your research. It also showcases your writing skills and demonstrates your understanding of the topic.

2. Should I use technical terms in my dissertation description?

It is recommended to use technical terms in your dissertation description only if they are necessary to accurately describe your research. Avoid using jargon or overly complex language that may be difficult for readers to understand.

3. How long should my dissertation description be?

The length of your dissertation description may vary depending on the requirements of your institution. However, it is generally recommended to keep it concise, typically around 150-250 words.

4. Can I include my research question in the dissertation description?

Yes, it is appropriate to include your research question in the dissertation description as it gives readers a clear idea of what your research aims to address. However, make sure to also provide a brief overview of your methodology and key findings.

5. Is it okay to seek feedback on my dissertation description?

Yes, it is highly recommended to seek feedback from your supervisor or peers on your dissertation description. They can provide valuable insights and suggestions on how to improve the clarity and effectiveness of your description.