Switching majors to Mechanical Engineering - Advice needed

In summary, Jedishrfu is looking to switch from a business major to a mechanical engineering program. He is in excellent standing academically and needs to complete a calculus course to be eligible for UMASS Dartmouth's program. He has spoken with admissions and found that they have many online resources that he can use to help him learn calculus. Finally, he has found a great book that will help him learn the concepts of engineering mechanics.
StrSpeed
Hi all!

Currently I'm a business major and I realized after a month long car rebuilding project that I should probably pursue another major. My entire life I've been fascinated with building contraptions and what not.

I'm pretty behind in the game right now, and would like to do as much learning on my own as I can to help me better once I get into a mechanical engineering program.

I've spoken with admissions at UMASS Dartmouth and they told me that academically I am in excellent standing with regards to eligibility (GPA wise). I simply have to complete a calculus course in order to get into their program.

I've always been very good with math. But given that I thought I would be pursuing business I kind of fell behind math wise. I am going to be taking precalculus this semester, and I hope I can take a intersession calc course.

So now that my plan and history is understood! Is their any online resources that I could take advantage of to help teach myself calculus? Furthermore, do you have any suggestions on some good reads for me that deal with engineering concepts?

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Jedishrfu! I knew about the first, but the later is new to me.

Can anyone suggest any good reads that deal with mechanical engineering?

Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud

MIT OCW have great courses on engineering mathematics (calculus, diff equations, linear algebra, etc.) and mechanical engineering.

Check out their website/YouTube channel.

At my university, you take 'Physics I' then the first mechanical engineering subject you take is called 'Engineering Mechanics', which covers:

Free-body diagrams; equilibrium; force systems; stresses and strains; coordinate systems; statically indeterminate systems; flexure; bending under combine loads; torsion; power transmission; kinematics; relative motion; particle kinetics; impulse and momentum; vibration; rigid body motion; angular impulse and momentum; work and energy.

mal4mac said:
Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud

Yes this is a very good book. It uses that structured learning strategy where a problem is presented and a line is drawn where you stop reading. Once you come up with an answer you proceed past the line to get the correct answer and move on to the next topic.

Great! Thank you for all your help, I'm really excited to start along this path.

Alexander2357 said:
MIT OCW have great courses on engineering mathematics (calculus, diff equations, linear algebra, etc.) and mechanical engineering.

Check out their website/YouTube channel.

At my university, you take 'Physics I' then the first mechanical engineering subject you take is called 'Engineering Mechanics', which covers:

Free-body diagrams; equilibrium; force systems; stresses and strains; coordinate systems; statically indeterminate systems; flexure; bending under combine loads; torsion; power transmission; kinematics; relative motion; particle kinetics; impulse and momentum; vibration; rigid body motion; angular impulse and momentum; work and energy.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me! No more easy sailing with this business stuff :approve:

1. Should I switch to a Mechanical Engineering major?

The decision to switch to a Mechanical Engineering major ultimately depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you have a passion for problem-solving, designing, and working with machines, then it may be a good fit for you. It is also important to consider the job market and potential future opportunities in the field.

2. Will it be difficult to switch to a Mechanical Engineering major if I have no prior experience in the field?

While having prior experience or knowledge in Mechanical Engineering can be helpful, it is not a requirement. As long as you have a strong foundation in math and science, and are willing to put in the time and effort to learn, you can be successful in the major.

3. How can I prepare for a switch to a Mechanical Engineering major?

It is recommended to take foundational courses such as calculus, physics, and chemistry to prepare for a Mechanical Engineering major. It is also helpful to gain experience through internships, research projects, or joining a related club or organization.

4. How long will it take me to complete a Mechanical Engineering degree if I switch majors?

The length of time it takes to complete a Mechanical Engineering degree will depend on your individual circumstances, such as the number of credits you transfer and your course load each semester. Generally, it takes 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.

5. Will switching to a Mechanical Engineering major limit my career options?

No, a degree in Mechanical Engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including but not limited to roles in aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing industries. It is also a versatile degree that can lead to positions in other fields such as consulting, finance, or entrepreneurship.