Designing a Biodegradable Floating Target for Aerial Small Arms Training

In summary, designing a floating silhouette for aerial small arms training has proven to be a challenge, with several failed attempts. The stipulations for the design include using a 36" high, wax board silhouette that can withstand being dropped from a helicopter and biodegrade over time. The target must also be able to withstand strong winds and stay upright for at least an hour. So far, the current design involves a wax board target attached to a cross-shaped frame with weights to balance it. However, this design still has half of the target submerged and further ideas or alternative designs are welcome. One suggestion is to use pontoons made from sonotube and sealed with paper mache, or using gelatin mixed with water and sand for ballast
FMAG
Looking to design a floating silhouette for aerial small arms training. There don't seem to be any companies that provide such a product so we have to design our own. A few of our ventures have failed and looking for assistance from those far smarter than I.

Stipulations:
We use 36" high, wax board silhouette.
Must be able to be dropped from a helicopter from ~15' and right itself and stay intact.
Must be biodegradeable over time, i.e. no plastics.
The target should be able to withstand at least 3' seas (~5-10 knots of wind).
The time period that targer will be used is about an hour, so if it degrades soon after that, that's acceptable.
Design can be anything.

Problems to date is getting the target to either stay upright or stand high enough in the water.

At present, we have a wax board target screwed along the bottom edge to a 1x1x30" then another 1x1x30" forward to back, forming a cross. Pressure treated wood, with 4-5 oz of weight hanging 10" below center as a balance.. With this design, almost half the target is submerged. Target needs to float fully out of the water.

Any further ideas on this or completely differnet design would be appreciated.

dk

Engineering news on Phys.org
A couple of quesions:
- Do you have an approximate weight of the 36" target itself?
- Is there a requirement for how close to the water the target must be (can the target stand proud of the base at all)?

buoyancy... maybe need to trap enough air at the base of the target to offset the force. You could increase the size of the "cross" and make crossed pontoons, maybe from 8-12" sonotube, it should degrade (BTW are you in saltwater?). Paper mache (sp?) the ends closed. To join the tubes in the center, each tube is cut halfway thru creating a lap joint. Join the same as the ends. You could bolt the target to the tube before sealing it up.

venuesystem said:
buoyancy... maybe need to trap enough air at the base of the target to offset the force. You could increase the size of the "cross" and make crossed pontoons, maybe from 8-12" sonotube, it should degrade (BTW are you in saltwater?). Paper mache (sp?) the ends closed. To join the tubes in the center, each tube is cut halfway thru creating a lap joint. Join the same as the ends. You could bolt the target to the tube before sealing it up.
Or just make two pontoons parallel if you want to take the fun out of it...!

If this was presented to me as a personal task, I would attack it thusly:

As a construction material, I would use the same thing that I sometimes substitute for latex in prosthetic make-up, which is gelatin mixed with about 10% of the water that would normally be used for Jell-O. It hardens to about the consistency of a pencil eraser, but will eventually dissolve or even be eaten by sea creatures. I would shape it like a wide bowl, with the target itself like a sail on a mast (I'd use a wooden dowel for the mast). For ballast, I would have a 'keel' moulded in the same piece as the bowl, but filled with sand. When the gelatin dissolves, the sand will just join all of the rest on the sea floor.

1. What is a "Floating Target"?

A floating target is a stationary object that is placed in a body of water, such as a lake or river, and is designed to be hit or struck by another object, such as a ball or projectile. The target is able to move and shift with the water's natural movements, making it a challenging and dynamic target for players to aim at.

2. What are some common materials used for Floating Target design?

There are a variety of materials that can be used for Floating Target design, depending on the purpose and function of the target. Some common materials include foam, plastic, rubber, and inflatable materials. These materials are typically lightweight, durable, and able to withstand exposure to water.

3. How are Floating Targets typically used?

Floating Targets are commonly used for recreational activities, such as water sports or games. They can also be used for target practice in activities like archery or shooting. Additionally, Floating Targets can be incorporated into team building exercises and obstacle courses.

4. What are some design considerations for Floating Targets?

When designing a Floating Target, it is important to consider factors such as the size and weight of the target, the materials used, and the intended use of the target. The design should also take into account the water conditions and potential for movement. Safety measures, such as making sure the target is visible and properly anchored, should also be considered.

5. Are there any innovative or unique Floating Target design ideas?

Yes, there are many creative and innovative Floating Target design ideas, such as incorporating interactive elements like lights or sound, using different shapes and sizes, and designing targets with specific themes or challenges. Some designers have even experimented with using biodegradable materials for a more environmentally friendly option. The possibilities are endless when it comes to Floating Target design.

Back