Equilibrium Constant for Calcium Carbonate Reaction at 500 C

In summary, at different temperatures, the equilibrium pressure of carbon dioxide in the reaction between calcium carbonate and calcium oxide can be calculated using the formula P=MRT. The equilibrium constant for this reaction at 500 C is 1.2*10^-3 atm.
Hypercase
Calcium Carbonate is heated in a closed vessel, and an equilibrium is reached.

CaCO3 (s) <=> CaO(s) + CO2 (g)
At 500 C the equilibrium pressure of carbon dioxide is 1.2*10^-3 atm and at 1000 C it is 3.87 atm.
what is the equilibrium constant for this reaction at 500 C? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try posting your questions in the chemistry subforum here at PF (I don't have the time to help you at the moment).

I'm not really good at chemistry but isn't it 1.2*10^-3? The only gas around is CO2 so writing the equlibrium formula gives CO2's pressure. This probably isn't right but how to do it?

The equilibrium formula refers to concentration not pressure of a liquid. Is it the same for a gas? or is the pressure used in the case of a gas?

I think I got it right now. Since PV=nRT, P=MRT. Thus, M=P/RT. I think you can do the rest.

1. What is Calcium Carbonate equilibrium?

Calcium Carbonate equilibrium is a chemical reaction that occurs when calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is in contact with water, resulting in the formation of calcium ions (Ca2+) and carbonate ions (CO32-). This reaction is reversible and can reach a state of equilibrium where the rate of formation of CaCO3 equals the rate of dissolution of CaCO3.

2. How is Calcium Carbonate equilibrium affected by temperature?

The solubility of calcium carbonate in water increases with increasing temperature, meaning that at higher temperatures, more CaCO3 will dissolve, shifting the equilibrium towards the formation of calcium and carbonate ions. However, the actual effect of temperature on the equilibrium depends on other factors such as pressure and the presence of other dissolved substances.

3. What is the role of pH in Calcium Carbonate equilibrium?

pH plays a crucial role in Calcium Carbonate equilibrium as it affects the concentration of carbonate ions in the solution. A lower pH (more acidic) will result in more hydrogen ions (H+) in the solution, which will react with carbonate ions to form bicarbonate ions (HCO3-). This decrease in carbonate ions will shift the equilibrium towards the dissolution of CaCO3.

4. How does the presence of other substances affect Calcium Carbonate equilibrium?

The presence of other substances, such as dissolved salts, can affect the solubility of calcium carbonate and therefore its equilibrium. For example, the presence of dissolved magnesium ions (Mg2+) can lead to the formation of a less soluble compound, magnesium carbonate, which can reduce the concentration of carbonate ions and shift the equilibrium towards the dissolution of CaCO3.

5. What applications does Calcium Carbonate equilibrium have in industries?

Calcium Carbonate equilibrium is used in various industries, such as water treatment, food and beverage production, and papermaking. In water treatment, it is used to control the pH of water and to remove excess carbon dioxide. In food and beverage production, it is used as a dietary supplement and as a natural preservative. In papermaking, it is used as a filler to increase the opacity and brightness of paper.