Chemical equation for glucose osazone and limiting reactants

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the theoretical mass of glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and the use of phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3) in the chemical equations. The individual is unsure whether to use a 2:1 ratio of phenylhydrazine to osazone or a 3:1 ratio in order to find the theoretical yield. There is also a mention of using a different base to neutralize the phenylhydrazine hydrochloride.
IBY

Homework Statement

Okay, a while ago, I did a lab that had me get glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4). Now, I am trying to calculate the theoretical mass of the osazone. The chemical equations goes as follows:

C6-H5-N2-H3*HCl + Na-C2-H3-O2*H2-O ------> C6-H5-N2-H3 + H-C2-H3-O2 + Na-Cl + 3(H2-O)

After that:
C6-H12-O6 + 3(C6-H5-N2-H3) --------> C18-H22-N4-O4 + C6-H5-N-H2 + N-H3 + 2(H2-O)

I found the limiting reactants in the first equation for Phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3), but the thing is, in the second equation, 2 mols of phenylhydrazine gets used for osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and water, and the third mole decomposes into the ammonia (N-H3) and aniline (C6-H5-N-H2). So the part I am having trouble is, should I use the ration 2:1 from phenylhydrazine to osazone or keep the 3:1 ration in order to find the theoretical yield?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
IBY said:

Homework Statement

Okay, a while ago, I did a lab that had me get glucose osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4). Now, I am trying to calculate the theoretical mass of the osazone. The chemical equations goes as follows:

C6-H5-N2-H3*HCl + Na-C2-H3-O2*H2-O ------> C6-H5-N2-H3 + H-C2-H3-O2 + Na-Cl + 3(H2-O)

After that:
C6-H12-O6 + 3(C6-H5-N2-H3) --------> C18-H22-N4-O4 + C6-H5-N-H2 + N-H3 + 2(H2-O)

I found the limiting reactants in the first equation for Phenylhydrazine (C6-H5-N2-H3), but the thing is, in the second equation, 2 mols of phenylhydrazine gets used for osazone (C18-H22-N4-O4) and water, and the third mole decomposes into the ammonia (N-H3) and aniline (C6-H5-N-H2). So the part I am having trouble is, should I use the ration 2:1 from phenylhydrazine to osazone or keep the 3:1 ration in order to find the theoretical yield?

If instead of making the phenylhydrazine you used, you obtained it from a bottle... which ratio would you use?

Remember that the first reaction is essentially a neutralization reaction... the phenylhydrazine hydrochloride is free-based with sodium acetate. If I discover a way to do this that requires 20 moles of the the hydrochloride to my newly-discovered base (capable of neutralizing 20 moles of the hydrochloride!), will we all have to go back and rewrite every paper ever published that used sodium acetate for the job?

First of all, great job on conducting a lab on glucose osazone and determining its theoretical mass! Now, to answer your question, the limiting reactant in a chemical reaction is the one that is completely consumed and therefore determines the maximum amount of product that can be formed. In this case, it seems that phenylhydrazine is the limiting reactant, as it is completely used up in the first equation and only 2 moles are needed for the formation of osazone in the second equation. Therefore, you should use the 2:1 ratio of phenylhydrazine to osazone in order to determine the theoretical yield. This means that for every 2 moles of phenylhydrazine used, 1 mole of osazone will be formed. I hope this helps clarify your confusion and good luck with your calculations!

1. What is the chemical equation for glucose osazone?

The chemical equation for glucose osazone formation is: C6H12O6 + 2H2NHNH2 + 5H2O → C12H22N4O10 + 2NaOH

2. What is the purpose of using glucose osazone in chemical reactions?

Glucose osazone is used in chemical reactions as a way to detect the presence of reducing sugars. It forms a distinct yellow-orange precipitate, which is a characteristic of osazones, allowing for easy identification of the sugar.

3. How do you determine the limiting reactant in a glucose osazone reaction?

The limiting reactant in a glucose osazone reaction can be determined by comparing the moles of each reactant present. Whichever reactant has the smallest number of moles is the limiting reactant, as it will be completely used up in the reaction.

4. Can you explain the concept of a limiting reactant in relation to glucose osazone?

In a chemical reaction, the limiting reactant is the substance that will be completely used up first, limiting the amount of product that can be formed. In the glucose osazone reaction, the limiting reactant is the one that determines the amount of osazone that can be formed, as it will be completely consumed in the reaction.

5. What are some common examples of limiting reactants in glucose osazone reactions?

Examples of common limiting reactants in glucose osazone reactions include glucose (C6H12O6), phenylhydrazine (C6H8N2), and hydroxylamine (NH2OH). These substances are commonly used in the formation of osazones and can be limiting reactants depending on the quantities used in the reaction.