Pressure/GPM/Diameter Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the flow rate for two different pipe sizes using a specific pressure. The person asking for help has tried using various online calculators but is still struggling to figure it out. They are then provided with a link to an online calculator and also given the option to use the Hazen Williams formula. They express their gratitude for the help and mention gaining a better understanding of the principles.
ISX
I have been searching for a long time and can't figure this out. The formulas I find are way over my head.

Anyhow, I am trying to find how much flow would go through 2 different sized pipes. One is 3/8" ID and the other is 1/2" ID. The 3/8" uses 26psi and the 1/2" uses 17psi. All I want to know is the GPM each one will flow. I noticed there was a lot about constant of liquids so just use water. As for pressure drop stuff, there is a pump drawing in water and the pipes are on the other side and they have no end on them, so they are just shooting the water out like a hose with no end on it.

Thanks for any help I can get on this. Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob S said:
Go to http://www.pipeflowcalculations.com/

Click on one of the online calculators on the left-hand side.

There are also other on-line calculators on the web.

Bob S

I have gone through that one and many others and I just can't figure them out.

ISX said:
I have gone through that one and many others and I just can't figure them out.
I used the calculator I recommended, and got the following numbers for the pressure drop per 100 ft of pipe:

1/2" pipe, 2.9 gpm, pressure drop=17 psi per 100' of pipe

3/8" pipe, 1.3 gpm, pressure drop=24 psi per 100' of pipe.

If you wold rather not use an online calculator, you can use the Hazen Williams formula at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/hazen-williams-water-d_797.html

Bob S

Ah that works. Think I halfway understand the principles now too. Thanks for the help!

What is the formula for calculating pressure?

The formula for calculating pressure is pressure = force/area.

How do I convert GPM (gallons per minute) to PSI (pounds per square inch)?

To convert GPM to PSI, you can use the following formula: PSI = (GPM x 8.33 x SG)/D, where SG is the specific gravity of the liquid and D is the diameter of the pipe in inches.

What is the relationship between pressure and diameter?

The relationship between pressure and diameter is inversely proportional. This means that as the diameter of a pipe or tube increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

How do I calculate the required flow rate for a specific pressure?

To calculate the required flow rate for a specific pressure, you can use the following formula: Q = (A x V)/T, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, V is the desired velocity, and T is the time.

What factors can affect pressure/GPM/diameter calculations?

Some factors that can affect pressure/GPM/diameter calculations include the type of fluid being transported, the temperature and viscosity of the fluid, the material and size of the pipe or tube, and any obstructions or bends in the system.