LaPlace Transformations to Solve Ordinary Differential Equations

In summary, a LaPlace Transform is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations by converting them into functions of complex frequency. This allows for easier algebraic manipulation and a general solution that can be applied to various initial conditions. LaPlace Transforms can solve linear, time-invariant differential equations, including those with constant coefficients and different orders of derivatives. The steps for solving a differential equation using LaPlace Transforms include taking the transform, manipulating the function, and using inverse transform. Common applications of LaPlace Transforms include engineering, physics, signal processing, and control theory.
Mike86

Homework Statement

Consider the initial value problem:
x'' + 2x' + 5x = δ(t - 1); with: x(0) = 0 and x'(0) = 0.

Using Laplace transforms, solve the initial value problem for x(t).

Homework Equations

L[x''] = (s^2)*L[x] - s*x(0) - x'(0)

L[x'] = s*L[x] - x(0)

L[δ(t - 1)] = e^(-s)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above known Laplace Transformations and the initial conditions I have gotten:

x'' + 2x' + 5x = δ(t - 1); with: x(0) = 0 and x'(0) = 0.

L[x''] + 2L[x'] + 5[x] = L[δ(t - 1)]

(s^2)*L[x] - s*x(0) - x'(0) + 2 (s*L[x] - x[0]) + 5 (L[x]) = e^(-s)

(s^2)*L[x] + 2s*L[x] + 5*L[x] = e^(-s)

(s^2 + 2s + 5)*L[x] = e^(-s)

L[x] = e^(-s) / (s^2 + 2s + 5)

From here I am not sure what Laplace Transformation to use to get the answer x. I can't really factorize (s^2 + 2s +5) because I would have to use the quadratic formula and I would get solutions with imaginary parts (from where I have no idea where to go as far as Laplace transformations are concerned).

I'm not sure if I made a mistake in the lead up (I can't see where) or there is a way to continue from here with the quadratic formula. Any advice with be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mike86 said:
L[x] = e^(-s) / (s^2 + 2s + 5)

From here I am not sure what Laplace Transformation to use to get the answer x. I can't really factorize (s^2 + 2s +5) because I would have to use the quadratic formula and I would get solutions with imaginary parts (from where I have no idea where to go as far as Laplace transformations are concerned).

Use the partial fractions technique in

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{e^{-s}}{(s^2 + 2s + 5)}[/tex]

Then, in order to find x in your new expression, you'll have to apply the Inverse Laplace Transform [tex]\mathcal{L}^{-1}[/tex].

By the way, do you remember how to use partial fractions? And do you understand how the Inverse Laplace Transform works?

Write the Laplace transform in the form

[tex]X(s) = \frac{e^{-(s+a)}e^a}{(s+a)^2+b^2}[/tex]

for the appropriate a and b. Then you should be able to use the properties of the Laplace transform and your table to get back to the time domain.

vela said:
Write the Laplace transform in the form

[tex]X(s) = \frac{e^{-(s+a)}e^a}{(s+a)^2+b^2}[/tex]

for the appropriate a and b. Then you should be able to use the properties of the Laplace transform and your table to get back to the time domain.

Thanks for the replies! :)

I have obtained values of: a = 1 and b=2.

Only problem is I can't make the connection between the properties of the Laplace Transformations and my tables. I've been playing around and looking for an hour or so but I've been stumped!

Sorry, I made a mistake. You want it to look like

[tex]X(s) = \frac{e^{-s}}{b} \left[\frac{b}{(s+a)^2+b^2}\right][/tex]

(It's just a slight algebraic rewrite; your a and b don't change.) Look at the frequency- and time-shifting properties of the transform.

What is a LaPlace Transform?

A LaPlace Transform is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, which can then be manipulated algebraically to find the solution to the differential equation.

Why are LaPlace Transforms useful?

LaPlace Transforms are useful because they allow us to solve differential equations that may be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. They also provide a general solution that can be applied to a variety of initial conditions.

What types of differential equations can be solved using LaPlace Transforms?

LaPlace Transforms can be used to solve linear, time-invariant differential equations. This includes equations with constant coefficients, as well as equations involving derivatives of different orders.

What are the steps for solving a differential equation using LaPlace Transforms?

The steps for solving a differential equation using LaPlace Transforms are:

1. Take the LaPlace Transform of both sides of the equation.
  2. Apply algebraic manipulation to solve for the transformed function.
  3. Use inverse LaPlace Transform to find the solution in terms of time.
  4. If necessary, use initial conditions to find the specific solution.

What are some common applications of LaPlace Transforms?

LaPlace Transforms are commonly used in engineering and physics to model and solve systems of differential equations. They are also used in signal processing and control theory.