Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Physics news on Phys.org
rhody said:
That is so funny Turbo, my "ghost peppers" google alert just send me the same link.

Rhody... :cool:
The Mex had produced their own hot sauce for decades with nothing but 100% chilies. Pretty good fall-back if my sauces end up needing a boost.

rhody said:
... From what I have seen from outdoor growers or greenhouse problems, hail, wind, bugs, fungus, blossom end rot, the list goes on and on, ...

I've decided to try my hand at this technique next spring

http://howto.wired.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/Upsidedowntomatoes.jpeg/630px-Upsidedowntomatoes.jpeg

for a few tomato plants and a couple Ghosts from your seeds on the south side of my swing-set building/shed.

Here is a new wrinkle CO2 to cause faster plant growth ? Ever heard of anyone using this setup Tent (hydro) or growing technique ?

Rhody... :wink:

dlgoff said:
I've decided to try my hand at this technique next spring

http://howto.wired.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/Upsidedowntomatoes.jpeg/630px-Upsidedowntomatoes.jpeg

for a few tomato plants and a couple Ghosts from your seeds on the south side of my swing-set building/shed.

Don, the aphids are going to get dizzy, brilliant... lol.

Rhody... o:)

I hadn't thought about this, rhody, but many insectivores have preferential search patterns. For instance creepers come down the tree head-first, and the nuthatches climb upward, often passing very close to one another. If the ladybugs have a preferential direction, it might be a good idea to the keep plants in the orientation that made that direction easier for your "gardeners".

turbo said:
I hadn't thought about this, rhody, but many insectivores have preferential search patterns. For instance creepers come down the tree head-first, and the nuthatches climb upward, often passing very close to one another. If the ladybugs have a preferential direction, it might be a good idea to the keep plants in the orientation that made that direction easier for your "gardeners".
I was kidding Turbo, if there is a benefit from insects so be it, we will have to wait and see, maybe some have trouble orienting themselves in soil upside down to lay eggs. I guess it is possible. I will see if there are any serious papers I can find on it.

Rhody...

Any of you know what the latest is that I can start ghosts? I know it needs to be soon since we have such a long cool growing season, then short hot season (if any at all...:yuck:), but I am so swamped I have no time for babying seeds on a heating pad. I know it may take up to a month for them to sprout, but how long does it take in general to fruit and mature? I am hoping I can stretch it out until my brother does his seeds and have him do it instead, but fear they will never fruit or turn red if they are sprouted too late in the spring.

BTW, I took Turbo's idea of ghost shrimp (probably not the same recipe at all) and have several people now addicted.

If you have a grow light I would think you can do them any time in your house? In Florida I had a rainbow hot pepper plant that produced for four years before it finally froze because I forgot to protect it. And in Colombia (12 hour days and nights) the bird peppers grew wild and got huge. I know ghosts are different but it seems from my experience that many types of spicy peppers aren't that light sensitive and grow pretty much all the time as long as they don't freeze.

Ghost shrimp - yummm. A restaurant called California Dreaming used to make the most amazing shrimp dish using lightly sauteed finely chopped hot peppers, garlic, tomato, lemon and I'm thinking a little cilantro. Unfortunately they stopped making it but I did do a reasonable facsimile that was quite good. They're served with croissants freshly baked with honey butter on top. YUMM

Ms Music said:
Any of you know what the latest is that I can start ghosts? I know it needs to be soon since we have such a long cool growing season, then short hot season (if any at all...:yuck:), but I am so swamped I have no time for babying seeds on a heating pad. I know it may take up to a month for them to sprout, but how long does it take in general to fruit and mature? I am hoping I can stretch it out until my brother does his seeds and have him do it instead, but fear they will never fruit or turn red if they are sprouted too late in the spring.

BTW, I took Turbo's idea of ghost shrimp (probably not the same recipe at all) and have several people now addicted.
Ms Music,

Remember the 60 Minutes sound, tick, tick, tick... You can plant them now, but don't wait much longer, I just started some ghosts, heat mat, light moisture, spritz daily, they took 20 days to sprout. Then, under a light, HID works best, blue frequency spectrum, 12 hours a day, on in the morning, off when you go to bed, once you transplant, use the double clear cup method, inner cup with holes in base, water from the outer one, keep the top of the soil dry if you can, get Neem oil, and if you see aphids, spray leaves top/bottom and the top of the soil, soak it well. My ghosts and scorpions are about 8 inches tall and robust. I actually have to slow them down because I am seeing flower buds already, way, way too early. Once you transplant water the outer cup about once a week. I use clear cups so you can see root and moisture. Watering from the bottom makes the roots seek the water below, a good thing. Every week or two fertilize with weak miracle grow, I did last week and my plants look very good. Good luck, be patient, and you will be the talk of the town late summer this year with your peppers, and recipes. I had some of turbo's habanero relish with hot dog this weekend, very good.

Rhody... :biggrin:

To all,

You need to look at this, insane growth using hydro, lights and nutrient additives. I am a member over there (Ghosty, clever name, huh, NOT... lol), don't get out the banning gun micro, calm down, PF will always be my first (awww..) and favorite place to hang out.

Rhody...

Ms Music said:

My ghost pepper germinated outside in early june in a week, I used a jiffy 7 pellet, so it was too late in the season when it started flowering, but the plant is growing like crazy so I can't wait to put it outside this spring.

Evo said:
My ghost pepper germinated outside in early june in a week, I used a jiffy 7 pellet, so it was too late in the season when it started flowering, but the plant is growing like crazy so I can't wait to put it outside this spring.
Just make sure it is protected Evo, I would hate to see it hit by hail, a stray lightning bolt, or God forbid a wayward piece of space junk :redface:

Rhody...

Ms Music said:

Evo said:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/images/bucplas.jpg

Today I bought some of these 2 gallon paint buckets for growing some up-side-down tomatoes and peppers. They should be plenty large enough as they will be mostly filled with the plants root system. The only advantage I could see for using the 5 gallon ones would be watering a little less often.

And now that you bring up the length of the growing season, this technique, especially with the smaller buckets, should make it an easy way to bring them indoors.

rhody said:
To all,

You need to look at this, insane growth using hydro, lights and nutrient additives. I am a member over there (Ghosty, clever name, huh, NOT... lol), don't get out the banning gun micro, calm down, PF will always be my first (awww..) and favorite place to hang out.

Rhody...

Okay Ghosty, I'm expecting a "How To" paper with PF references. Preferably peer reviewed.

Oh God, Don, Turbo, Evo,

I woke up this morning, and had one of those I can't explain it feelings. Long story short, I was checking my plants for being dry, when for some strange reason I put my hand on the heat mat, It was cold. I moved the plants and low and behold, I saw this, just starting to smolder. Holy ... ! I was very careful about never getting water near that part of the heat mat. I am sure the guy who sold it to me will be surprised as well. Not good. I am lucky I witnessed it happening. Good karma playing itself out once again. Moral of this story, buy only top of the line heat mats, UL safety approved. Lesson learned. My other mat has been fine, but I will check it to be sure today.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5263/ps1rp.jpg [Broken]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9445/ps2w.jpg [Broken]

If that caught fire my house would have gone with it. A friend who was away on vacation last week had a power strip catch fire while gone, he was lucky someone staying in the house called it in. Major smoke damage.

Rhody... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
SCARY! Have you considered fresh manure?? I know - harder to control the temp but a lot safer.

Here is my new pot, sort of like starter bins laid on their sides all in a circle, gives roots more air, we will see if they
grow better this way. The roots come out the little holes in the sides. I am not sure if you trim them or not.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/550/newpot.jpg [Broken]

Ever since my post on the Nagaland research paper claiming that these plants get eight to ten feet tall, I thought I would put that rumor to
rest once and for all, are you ready for this, I hope so, I give you Alabama Jack. And yes he MUST be growing those for sale, unbelievable right ?
That is some serious heat in that field.

BTW, I ordered some "white" ghost seeds from Australia yesterday, anyone want some ?

08-08-11 Trinidad Scorpion Project in Mississippi

Check this out about two months before, getting everything ready to transplant.
There are more video's of his in the sidebar in case you are interested.

081710a 001

Rhody... sometimes known as Ghosty to a different clientele.

You've inspired me to order seeds, and a more extensive set-up for starting them indoors. The credit card bill is going to sting a bit this month. I've had bad luck with deer getting into my gardens, so I think I'm going to divide my efforts between a traditional garden and container garden high up from deer this year, and maybe even try some indoor gardening. I figure if I start from seeds, I'll do container plants for whatever thrives best.

Can't keep the deer out of the okra. They keep it pruned at about 8 inches tall. GRRRR They didn't get the peppers though. Maybe you just need to surround your garden with okra and they'll leave everything else alone??

netgypsy said:
Can't keep the deer out of the okra. They keep it pruned at about 8 inches tall. GRRRR They didn't get the peppers though. Maybe you just need to surround your garden with okra and they'll leave everything else alone??

Lol! My deer even ate my jalapenos a couple years ago. Last year, I think I was doomed no matter what. The garden started well, I had a million blooms on everything, then the deer trampled through the fencing. What they didn't eat, they stomped on (I forgot to put netting on top of the garden, which deterred them the previous year when insects feasted on everything). Some of the plants started recovering, but then we had endless rain the rest of the season, and everything started rotting. It's the first year there were no extra zucchinis from anyone! We all had the same problem, we'd get one or two from a vine and the rest rotted before they got more than a few inches big, if they grew at all. A lot of blossoms rotted and didn't fruit.

I'm working on it. When I moved here, there was no good soil for gardening, just heavy clay and rocks and a few bits of coal. I expected a few bad years of getting the soil conditioned, and last year's good start was at least hopeful, but I'm tired of deer eating my dinner and then not sticking around to be my dinner, so I'll try some containers on my deck this year, at least for tomatoes. I found seeds for tiny tim tomatoes, which grew really well in a container indoors a few years ago, but I only had one plant from sale at the university greenhouse then, and never saw that variety since. They're like a cherry tomato.

Moonbear said:
I found seeds for tiny tim tomatoes, which grew really well in a container indoors a few years ago, but I only had one plant from sale at the university greenhouse then, and never saw that variety since. They're like a cherry tomato.
Buy grape tomatoes, they grow like a vine though and need a trellis, but grape tomatoes are awesome, and they produce heavily.

Evo said:
Buy grape tomatoes, they grow like a vine though and need a trellis, but grape tomatoes are awesome, and they produce heavily.

I haven't seen them available and they aren't in any of the seed catalogs I get either. Maybe they don't grow well in my area so don't get sold around here.

I had good luck with sweet 100. they even volunteered the second year

netgypsy said:
Can't keep the deer out of the okra.

Moonbear said:
Lol! My deer even ate my jalapenos a couple years ago.
netgypsy, Moonbear,

Folks here use three things to repel deer from a garden, are you ready for this:

1. moth balls
  2. human hair
  3. deer away (comercial product, expensive)

I would try moth balls first, then God forbid, go to local barber shops and get bags of hair, ewww... or try the deer away. People I know have used moth balls and claim they work. Good luck with your frustrating problem.

Rhody... :redface:

Last edited:
The first year we lived in this place, I planted a habanero bush that my sister-in-law had over-wintered indoors. A deer (maybe more than one) showed up that night and ate that pepper plant right down to ground level. Deer love peppers!

rhody said:
would try moth balls first, then God forbid, go to local barber shops and get bags of hair, ewww... or try the deer away. People I know have used moth balls and claim they work. Good luck with your frustrating problem.

Rhody... :redface:
Blood meal works, too, but it is high in nitrogen and therefor is not a good additive to use around peppers. Peppers can grow and leaf-out like crazy with lots of nitrogen, but that inhibits budding and fruiting. Some of the people that show off huge pepper plants are probably over-using nitrogen. That causes over-foliation and inhibits ripening of the peppers. My season is so short that I can't afford to make that kind of mistake.

turbo said:
The first year we lived in this place, I planted a habanero bush that my sister-in-law had over-wintered indoors. A deer (maybe more than one) showed up that night and ate that pepper plant right down to ground level. Deer love peppers!
Can you imagine a deer eating even one trinidad scorpion pepper ? At 1.4 million scoville ? I can't. Regular peppers, deer treats, super hot's, I don't think there will be a problem.

Rhody...

I get google alerts for pepper keyword combinations, and thought I would share this one:
[/PLAIN] [Broken]
I Ate the World's Hottest Pepper This Weekend

Some peppers are described as producing a heat that concentrates in different areas of the mouth. You'll hear people talk about a warm glow at the back of the throat or a fiery concentration at the front of their mouth. I can attest that the the Trinidad Scorpion chili should be classified as an equal opportunity palate destroyer. This is a full-face experience.

About a minute after eating the sliver, I was experiencing a full-on glow that invoked a jet engine afterburn. At two minutes, waves of oscillating sensations washed over my skin, first warm, then oddly cool. I described the building heat, and the chili dude responded with a phrase that shook me to my very center. "Yeah, it will continue to build for about four to five minutes," he said.

It was at this point that I became a little nervous. I decided to go for a walk.

For the next ten or so minutes I waited in the beer line (milk is for pussies) and experienced wave after wave of what I can't describe as pain, really. There was an odd sweaty patch on the right backside of my head that felt cool. There was a sort of euphoria-laden glow rooted in my inner chemistry -- what I can only describe as the body's natural response to, and preparation for, my impending death. Synapses fired, dopamine was released, synapses fired again. It was like taking a "bump" of pure capsaicin.

and another pepper head is hooked...

Rhody... :redface: o:) :devil:

When I made my very first batch of red-ripe chili relish from Carribeans, I gave a little jar to my neighbor. He found it too hot to eat, but he took it to "sandwich night" at the paper mill when the crew would order in subs for their lunch. He hauled out that little jar and spread a little bit (probably very little) in his sub. A loudmouth that very ceremoniously put Tobasco on his sandwiches said "Give me some of that!" Al warned him to go easy, but the guy put on what he thought was a reasonable amount. He took a bite of his sandwich, turned red, started sweating, and threw the sandwich in the trash, swearing at Al for ruining his lunch. The next night, Al had to work a different shift, and I asked him not to ambush Randy that way. He got an evil look in his eye, and said that Randy had to take his chances.

Just imagine what his response would have been if it had been ghost pepper relish, or God forbid scorpion pepper. For people who have huge ego's that is. It is always fun taking that kind of person down a notch or two. Having said that, I don't go looking for trouble, but if it does find me I let the relish and the pepper do the talking, case closed. People should be fully informed and aware before trying this stuff, and if they don't heed reasonable tasting advice, then I don't have a problem with it.

Rhody...

Last edited:
netgypsy, Moonbear,

I watched this video, liquid fence, it works, stinks for two days, then the smell goes away.
Looks about the same price as the stuff in my last post. I would be interested to see if the moth ball,
or human hair would keep them away too, and for a lot cheaper.

Liquid Fence Deer Repellent

MvOm3Q-3MK0[/youtube] Rhody...

<h2>1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?</h2><p>The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.</p><h2>2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.</p><h2>3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.</p><h2>4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?</h2><p>Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.</p><h2>5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?</h2><p>Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.</p>

1. What is the Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce?

The Scoville Heat Unit (SHU) of Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is approximately 100,000 to 350,000 SHU. This means it is considered to be a very hot sauce and may not be suitable for those who are sensitive to spicy foods.

2. How is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce made?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is made by blending fresh habanero peppers with vinegar, salt, and other spices. The ingredients are then cooked and blended to create a smooth and flavorful sauce. The sauce is then bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

3. Is Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce gluten-free?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce is gluten-free. It does not contain any wheat, barley, or rye, which are common sources of gluten. However, it is always recommended to check the ingredients list for any potential allergens before consuming.

4. How should Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be stored?

Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It is best to refrigerate after opening to maintain its freshness and flavor. It is also important to use a clean spoon or utensil when serving to prevent contamination.

5. Can Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce be used in cooking?

Yes, Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce can be used in cooking to add a spicy kick to your dishes. It can be used as a marinade, added to soups or stews, or used as a dipping sauce. However, it is important to use it in moderation as it is a very hot sauce and can easily overpower other flavors.