Factors affecting beet root cell membrane

In summary, the main factors that affect the beet root cell membrane are temperature, pH, chemicals, physical damage, and genetic mutations. Temperature can affect the fluidity and permeability of the membrane, while pH can disrupt its structure. Chemicals such as detergents, alcohols, and heavy metals can damage the membrane, and genetic mutations can alter its composition and function.
spikeyshot
Hi. I am currently doing an experiment regarding to the factors affecting beet root cell membrane. Some of them are pH (2,4,6,8,10) , Ethanol (1%, 25%, 50%) and Detergent(1%, 5%). I've seen that different pH, different concentration in ethanol and detergent each has different results in both terms of color and distance. I am wondering how this could happen. And it seems like the more the pH "get closer" to pH 7, the shorter the distance and the less concentrated the color. Can anybody help me with these?

Biology news on Phys.org
Please repost in the other sciences homework section using the appropriate template.

1. What are the main factors that affect the beet root cell membrane?

The main factors that affect the beet root cell membrane are temperature, pH, chemicals, physical damage, and genetic mutations.

2. How does temperature affect the beet root cell membrane?

Temperature can affect the fluidity and permeability of the cell membrane. High temperatures can cause the phospholipid bilayer to melt, leading to increased permeability and loss of cellular integrity.

3. What is the role of pH in affecting the beet root cell membrane?

pH can affect the ionization and charge of the phospholipids in the cell membrane. Extreme pH levels can disrupt the structure of the membrane and impact its function.

4. What chemicals can damage the beet root cell membrane?

Chemicals such as detergents, alcohols, and heavy metals can disrupt the phospholipid bilayer and cause membrane damage. Enzymes can also damage the membrane by breaking down the phospholipids.

5. What role do genetic mutations play in affecting the beet root cell membrane?

Genetic mutations can alter the composition and structure of the cell membrane, leading to changes in its function. These mutations can also affect the production of proteins and enzymes involved in maintaining the integrity of the membrane.