Centripetal Acceleration definition help

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal acceleration and how it is related to the forces acting on an object in a circular path. The sum of forces component perpendicular to the path results in centripetal acceleration, while the component in the direction of the path results in tangential acceleration. The method for solving for tension is also briefly mentioned, along with a link to a diagram for reference.
oneplusone
Hello, my textbook says that the magnitude
of centripetal acceleration is equal to the sum of the forces acting on that object.
(this is in regard to an object in a circular path, by a string. See https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Centripetal_force_diagram.svg/220px-Centripetal_force_diagram.svg.png for an example)

I was wondering why is this so? To me, it doesn't make sense that they are equal in magnitude, since the forces are perpendicular.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
oneplusone said:
My textbook says that the magnitude of centripetal acceleration is equal to the sum of the forces acting on that object.
Only the sum of forces component that is perpendicular to the path of an object results in centripetal acceleration. The sum of forces component in the direction of the path of an object results in tangental acceleration.

So could you please briefly describe how will you solve for Tension? generically?

oneplusone said:
So could you please briefly describe how will you solve for Tension? generically?
The link to the diagram isn't working for me. In what direction is the string rotating, horizontally or vertically or ... ?

Looking at that diagram, there are no other forces acting on the mass other than centripetal force, which equals m v^2 / r or m ω^2 r. The centripetal acceleration would be v^2 / r or ω^2 r.

Likes 1 person

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it is moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Regular acceleration is the change in an object's speed or direction, while centripetal acceleration is specifically the change in direction towards the center of a circle.

What is the formula for centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

What is the unit of measurement for centripetal acceleration?

The unit of measurement for centripetal acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

Why is centripetal acceleration important to know?

Centripetal acceleration is important because it allows us to understand and calculate the motion of objects in circular paths, such as the orbits of planets or the movement of cars around a racetrack.