Stuck understanding Bernoulli's Principle, would love some help

In summary, the conversation was about understanding Bernoulli's Principle as it relates to the sea and how it applies to sailboats. The main points discussed were how sailboats cannot sail directly upwind and how certain types of sailboats can achieve downwind speeds greater than the wind speed. The reason for this is because wind powered vehicles get their energy by slowing down the wind, either directly through the sail or indirectly through the upwind component of the wash of air. Bernoulli's Principle is not the main factor in achieving high speeds in these types of vehicles, but rather the efficiency of the sail or propeller. Additional resources were also provided for further understanding.
avidstr
Hi all - I was having a debate with some students in my flipped class today and I can't wrap my head around Bernoulli's Principle as it relates to the sea.

Can anyone explain how Bernoulli's principle works with a sail boat? I don't know how the force vectors resolve to push a sail boat faster into the wind than with the wind.

Thanks so much for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A sailboat can't sail directly upwind. A very low drag sailboat may be able to tach downwind such that the net downwind speed is greater than the wind speed. A better example would be an ice boat, where there is very little drag, and these can achieve downwind speed component much greater than the wind speed. There are also directly down wind faster than the wind (DDWFTW) vehicles that use the wheels to drive a propeller, and these can also go faster than the wind, with a full scale model achieving close to 3x wind speed with a wind around 10 mph. This works because the wind speed versus the ice / ground / water speed remains the same regardless of how fast the craft moves. Bernoulli equation approximates the amount of pressure versus speed of the air as the air is deflected by a sail or wing, but it's not the key reason for the high speed that these craft can achieve, other than for these vehicles to work the sail or drive train and propeller need to be efficient. Wind powered vehicles get their energy by slowing down the wind. It doesn't matter if the wind is slowed down directly by the sail or propeller, or slowed down due to an upwind component of the wash of air diverted by a sail or accelerated by a propeller.

Other threads with links to even more threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=562993

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=421733

Last edited:

What is Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a fundamental concept in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the speed of a fluid and its pressure. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.

How does Bernoulli's Principle apply to everyday life?

Bernoulli's Principle can be seen in everyday life in various ways, such as airplane wings creating lift and allowing planes to fly, the flow of water in a river, and the movement of air over a curved surface, as seen in the flight of a frisbee or a curveball in baseball.

What is the significance of understanding Bernoulli's Principle?

Understanding Bernoulli's Principle is essential in many fields, including aeronautics, meteorology, and engineering. It allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the behavior of fluids and design structures that take advantage of this principle.

What are some common misconceptions about Bernoulli's Principle?

One common misconception is that Bernoulli's Principle only applies to fluids moving in a horizontal direction. In reality, it applies to fluids moving in any direction. Another misconception is that the shape of an object solely determines lift, when in fact, the speed and direction of the fluid also play a crucial role.

How can I better understand Bernoulli's Principle?

You can better understand Bernoulli's Principle by learning about the equations and mathematical principles behind it and by exploring real-world applications. Visual aids, such as demonstrations and simulations, can also be helpful in understanding this concept.