Finding the kernel and range of a tranformation

In summary: The range is simply all the possible vectors you can obtain from the transformation. If T(x) = (0,0), then all the possible vectors that come "out" of the transformation are in the set {(0,0)}, which is the range.
Noone1982
If L(x) = (x1, x2, 0)^t and L(x) = (x1, x1, x1)^t

What is the kernel and range?

Physics news on Phys.org
Noone1982 said:
If L(x) = (x1, x2, 0)^t and L(x) = (x1, x1, x1)^t
What is the kernel and range?

You have defined two different functions. Which one are you referring to?

Do you know the DEFINITION of "kernel"

I need to do both. I know the kernel is basically setting to zero, but my book is awful on explaining stuff. I also know the range is basically solving for y and row reducing, but I am foggy on the presentation.

I'll explain it to you, and I want to see you attempt to answer it.

The range is simple. It's just like Calculus, sort of.

For example, the function f(x)=x^2 has a domain of R(-infinite,infinite), and range (0,infinite).

The range is simply all the possible vectors you can obtain from the transformation. If T(x) = (0,0), then all the possible vectors that come "out" of the transformation are in the set {(0,0)}, which is the range.

What's the range of T(x)=(x,y)?

The answer is R^2, which is any vector in the Cartesian Plane.

The kernel of a transformation is the set of vectors that transform into the zero vector. So, for the first one T(x)=(0,0) is all the vectors, since all the them become a zero vector, so the answer is R^2.

What's the kernel of T(x)=(x,y)?

Well, the only possible vector that can transform into a zero vector is the zero vector itself.

Note: I have no idea what you mean by exponent t. Maybe that signifies that it is a transformation... I have no idea.

Noone1982 said:
I need to do both. I know the kernel is basically setting to zero, but my book is awful on explaining stuff. I also know the range is basically solving for y and row reducing, but I am foggy on the presentation.

Your book is awful on explaining "setting to zero"?? Not a whole lot to explain is there?

For your first function L(x1,x2,x3))= (x1, x2,0).
Set that equal to 0: (x1, x2,0)= (0, 0, 0).

What does that tell you about x1 and x2? What does it tell you about x3?

Now the range: what do all possible values of L, that is all vectors of the form (x1, x2,0), have in common?

JasonRox said:
Note: I have no idea what you mean by exponent t.

It means transpose. For example (5,2,3) is a row matrix (i.e., a 1x3 matrix) and (5,2,3)^t is a column matrix (i.e., a 3x1 matrix).

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
It means transpose. For example (5,2,3) is a row matrix (i.e., a 1x3 matrix) and (5,2,3)^t is a column matrix (i.e., a 3x1 matrix).
Regards,
George

I know what transpose means. :tongue2:

Then I'm surprised that you don't know that AT is a standard notation for transpose.

HallsofIvy said:
Then I'm surprised that you don't know that AT is a standard notation for transpose.

Exactly... capital T. :tongue2:

You can't guess that lower and upper case t in an expression x^t or x^T where x is a vector don't both obviously mean transpose?

matt grime said:
You can't guess that lower and upper case t in an expression x^t or x^T where x is a vector don't both obviously mean transpose?

I didn't think the transpose was necessary.

Anyways, the question isn't about transposes.

It's about vectors, and linear maps. What on Earth was it going to be except transpose?

1. What is a transformation?

A transformation is a mathematical operation that maps elements from one set to another. It can be represented by a function or matrix.

2. What is the kernel of a transformation?

The kernel of a transformation, also known as the null space, is the set of all input values that result in an output of zero. In other words, it is the set of vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation.

3. How do you find the kernel of a transformation?

To find the kernel of a transformation, you need to solve the system of equations that represents the transformation. This can be done by setting the transformation equal to the zero vector and solving for the input variables.

4. What is the range of a transformation?

The range of a transformation is the set of all possible output values that the transformation can produce. In other words, it is the set of vectors that can be obtained by applying the transformation to the input vectors.

5. How do you find the range of a transformation?

To find the range of a transformation, you can either determine the span of the columns of the transformation matrix or evaluate the transformation on a set of basis vectors. The resulting vectors will make up the range of the transformation.