Vaccine Protects Against Cervical Cancer

In summary: This is why our society is so messed up! In summary, the vaccine is recommended for use by girls and women 9-26 years old, preferably before they become sexually active and it is also recommended for boys and young men in order to prevent them from transmitting the virus to their partners. There are some who are opposed to its approval because they believe it will encourage premarital sex. This is why our society is so messed up.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060519/ap_on_he_me/cancer_vaccine;_ylt=As2BT9Y98c5wTyM9DynP.Vus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3czJjNGZoBHNlYwM3NTE-

WASHINGTON (By Andrew Bridges, AP) - A vaccine with the potential to slash worldwide deaths from cervical cancer, the No. 2 cancer killer in women, should be approved for sales in the United States, a federal panel said Thursday.

A Food and Drug Administration advisory committee voted 13-0 to endorse the safety and effectiveness of Merck and Co.'s Gardasil, which blocks viruses that cause cervical cancer. The company said the vaccine could cut worldwide deaths from the disease by two-thirds.

However, the anticipated cost of the vaccine, administered in three shots over six months, is $300 to $500 — a possible impediment to widespread vaccination campaigns.

The drug protects against the two types of human papillomavirus (HPV) believed responsible for about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases. It also protects against two other virus types that cause 90 percent of genital wart cases. All four virus types are sexually transmitted.

FDA Panel: Vaccine Protects Against a Cancer
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5415858
All Things Considered, May 18, 2006 · An FDA panel recommends the approval of a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer, the second-most deadly cancer for women. The new vaccine, made by Merck, could reduce the number of cervical cancer cases world wide by about two-thirds.

The vaccine protects against the most carcinogenic forms of the human papilloma virus, or HPV, which causes cervical cancer. The federal review panel was unanimous in its approval of the vaccine.

It is recommended for girls and women (9-26), preferably before they become sexually active. There is also consideration to give it to boys and young men, so that they are less likely to transmit it to a partner. Sounds fair enought to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes! HOORAY! Thank goodness! Let's get this going ASAP! My dear friend's mother is now undergoing treatments for cervical cancer, and it all started with HPV.

I heard the news about this vaccine almost a year ago, but I also heard that there were certain groups that opposed it coming to market because they thought it would encourage premarital sex and they were anxious to suppress the vaccine.:mad:

I think this is a groundbreaking development in the fight against cervical cancer. It is estimated that this vaccine could prevent 70% of cervical cancer cases worldwide, which is a significant reduction in deaths from this disease. It is also encouraging that the FDA panel was unanimous in their recommendation for approval, indicating a high level of confidence in the vaccine's safety and effectiveness.

The cost of the vaccine may be a barrier for some, but hopefully, with further research and development, the price can be reduced to make it more accessible to those who need it most. In the meantime, it is important for healthcare providers to educate their patients about the importance of this vaccine and to work towards making it more affordable.

I also think it is a positive step that there is consideration to give the vaccine to boys and young men as well. This not only protects them from the virus, but also reduces the risk of them transmitting it to their partners. It is important to address the issue of sexually transmitted diseases from both sides.

Overall, I am hopeful that the approval of this vaccine will lead to a significant decrease in deaths from cervical cancer and that it will be widely available to those who can benefit from it.

What is cervical cancer?

Cervical cancer is a type of cancer that affects the cells of the cervix, which is the lower part of the uterus that connects to the vagina. It is typically caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV) and can be fatal if left untreated.

How does the vaccine protect against cervical cancer?

The vaccine works by stimulating the body's immune system to produce antibodies against the HPV virus. This helps prevent the virus from infecting the cells in the cervix and potentially causing cancer.

Who should get the vaccine?

The vaccine is recommended for anyone between the ages of 9 and 45, with the ideal age being between 11 and 12. It is most effective when given before a person becomes sexually active and exposed to the HPV virus.

Are there any side effects of the vaccine?

Like any vaccine, there may be some mild side effects such as soreness at the injection site, headache, or fever. These side effects are temporary and typically resolve within a few days.

Is the vaccine 100% effective?

The vaccine is highly effective in preventing HPV infection and cervical cancer. However, it is not 100% effective, and it is still important for individuals to practice safe sex and get regular screenings for cervical cancer.