Calculating Mass of Impacting Material

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the mass of a granular material impacting a rigid object. The formula for calculating mass is discussed and a suggestion is made to use a pendulum or grain-turbine for flow metering purposes. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their thoughts and considering them for their project.
j777
I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to accurately calculate the mass of a granular material (something like grain) impacting a very rigid object (a fixed metal plate) if the velocity of the granular material, impact force, and time of impact are known. After googling around a bit I've come up with the following formula:

m = (impact force * time of impact) / (velocity of granular material)

Am I on the right track or way out in left field? What are some of the important things to consider when trying to measure mass in this way?

Physics is not a strong-point of mine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe there are methods.

However I must ask. Is this a theoretical question or do you actually need to measure the mass of the grains.

The formula you quote looks right.

Impulse = Force*Time = Momentum

So on the top of your equation you have momentum which is equal to the Mass * Velocity.

You then divide by the velocity which should indeed give you the mass.

:smile:

Yes, I'm interested in finding the mass of grain for flow metering purposes.

Thank you for your help.

My first thought on this matter would be that a pendulum should serve your needs adequately.

You can determine the momentum of the material impacting upon the pendulum from the angle at which it is displaced.

Many configurations of pendulum are possible. It all really depends on what your constraints are.

Perhaps even some kind of "grain-turbine" measuring an induced current could do the trick.

Anyway, let us know how it works out. Best of Luck!

Thank you for your thoughts. I will consider them as I continue to play around with this project.

What is the formula for calculating mass of impacting material?

The formula for calculating mass of impacting material is: mass = density x volume. This formula is based on the principle of density, which states that the mass of a substance is equal to its density multiplied by its volume.

How do you determine the density of the impacting material?

The density of a material can be determined by dividing its mass by its volume. This can be done by measuring the mass of a known volume of the material using a scale, and then dividing that mass by the volume of the material. The resulting number is the density of the material.

What units should be used for calculating mass of impacting material?

The units used for calculating mass of impacting material depend on the units of density and volume. Generally, the SI units of kilograms (kg) for mass, cubic meters (m³) for volume, and kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³) for density are used.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating mass of impacting material?

The accuracy of calculating mass of impacting material can be affected by various factors, such as human error in measurement, variations in density due to temperature or pressure, and the presence of impurities in the material. It is important to take these factors into consideration when calculating mass.

Can the mass of impacting material be calculated for any type of material?

Yes, the mass of impacting material can be calculated for any type of material as long as its density and volume can be determined. This formula can be applied to both solid and liquid materials, as well as mixtures of different materials.