Find the one dimensional particle motion in a given potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the one-dimensional particle motion in a series of potentials, specifically U(x) = V(tan2(cx)), V>0. The possibility of solving for x(t) is considered, but after finding a(x), it is uncertain if this is possible analytically. The question may be asking for the period of oscillatory motion, but it is not certain. The potential U(x) = V(tan2(cx)), V>0 has an equilibrium point at x=0 and is an even function. The use of a = vdv/dx and v = dx/dt is also mentioned.
Fallen Seraph
I'm not looking for a solution, but rather trying to understand the question.

We've been given a series of potentials, U(x), and have been told to find the one-dimensional particle motion in them. For example:

U(x) = V(tan^2(cx)), V>0

My initial reaction was just to solve it for x(t), but after having found a(x), I'm not so sure that this is possible analytically... (I can't visualise a solution to -ma=2cV(tan(cx))(1+tan^2(cx))

So perhaps the question is asking to find the period of the oscillatory motion? But it certainly doesn't look like that's what it's asking...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I've tried to think of a nice trick using the chain rule or similar, but can't solve [tex] -\frac{1}{m}\frac{d}{dt}x(t)= U(x(t))[/tex]. Could it be you just have to qualitatively describe the resultant motion, or will all of your potentials result in oscillation?

Well U(x) = V(tan2(cx)), V>0, has an equilibrium point about x = 0.

tan2 x is an even function about x = 0.

since 'a' is a function of x, you can use a = vdv/dx to get v as function of x and then v = dx/dt.

1. What is one dimensional particle motion?

One dimensional particle motion refers to the movement of a single particle along a straight line, with no motion in any other direction.

2. What is a potential in physics?

In physics, a potential is a scalar quantity that represents the energy associated with a particle's position in space. It is often used to describe the forces acting on a particle and how they change as the particle moves.

3. How is the potential related to the particle's motion?

The potential affects the particle's motion through the forces it creates. The particle will move in the direction of decreasing potential, as this corresponds to a decrease in energy and therefore a lower energy state.

4. How do you find the one dimensional particle motion in a given potential?

To find the one dimensional particle motion in a given potential, you can use the principles of classical mechanics and calculus. By solving the equations of motion, you can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

5. What factors affect the particle's motion in a given potential?

The particle's motion in a given potential is affected by the shape and strength of the potential, as well as the initial conditions of the particle (such as its position and velocity). Additionally, external forces such as friction or gravity can also affect the particle's motion.