Why Did the Plague Sweep Through Europe in 1347?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: That's just unlucky.Chesterton is all so the site of a roman fort on the Foss road, i have found coins on the non scheduled edges.And there is a stone built windmill on the hill.Kurdt of Gateshead, in the spring of 1348 you are a vile Knight. You are spared by the Black Death, only to be killed in a freak jousting accident. Damn! I mean killed fair and square I could handle, but by a freak accident?... That's just unlucky.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The History Channel is repeating their documentary on the Plague tonight. It was very good.

It began like the common cold. Then fever, baseball-sized black swellings on the neck, coughing of blood. Few lived more than two days. The year--1347. It was history's worst biological disaster and almost half of Europe's population died within three years. Visit the plague ships' rat-infested holds, witness the terror that swept through the towns, and walk with the religious flagellants. Follow a princess as she travels into the center of the plague, a doctor who struggles to understand what is happening, and a Jewish merchant caught up in violent attacks. Hear the actual words of the victims, taken from diaries and journals. From the Pope's palace to the humble huts of medieval peasants, watch as people live and die in the unforgiving grip of fear and death, and wonder how we would act if such a terrible event happened today.
If this doesn't put you in the Holiday spirit, nothing will.

The UK sight has the website presentation that went with the original.

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/microsites/theplague/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't British people spell? What, I'm a peasent?

Evo of USA, in the spring of 1348 you are a greedy Peasent.

You survive the plague, thanks no doubt to the lock of a martyr's hair you purchase from a peddler. You live to the age of 47, a village record!

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/games/Plague/?

Evo said:
The History Channel is repeating their documentary on the Plague tonight. It was very good.

If this doesn't put you in the Holiday spirit, nothing will.

The UK sight has the website presentation that went with the original.

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/microsites/theplague/

Surprising how many villages disappeared due to black death and enclosure, there are four sites with a five mile radius from me, not that there is much to see above or below ground,
but in some cases a church or a farm house remain.
within my area is, Chaple Ascot, Hodnel, East End and Watergal.

Evo said:
Can't British people spell? What, I'm a peasent?

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/games/Plague/?

:rofl:
I'm saved!
Moonbear of New Jersey, in the spring of 1348 you are a lecherous Nun.

Despite attending the sick and dying, you survive the Black Death as though by divine ordinance, and are regarded with awe.

See, it pays to be in the sisterhood. :biggrin: :rofl:

NO FAIR! How did you get "lecherous nun"? :devil:

Moonbear said:
Moonbear of New Jersey, in the spring of 1348 you are a lecherous Nun.

Despite attending the sick and dying, you survive the Black Death as though by divine ordinance, and are regarded with awe.

wolram said:
Surprising how many villages disappeared due to black death and enclosure, there are four sites with a five mile radius from me, not that there is much to see above or below ground,
but in some cases a church or a farm house remain.
within my area is, Chaple Ascot, Hodnel, East End and Watergal.
I'm going to have to come visit you some day Wolram. The historical sites in your area would be a dream to me.

robin of bishops itchington, in the spring of 1348 you are an odorous Physician.

Your knowledge of medicine saves you from the Black Death, as you bleed yourself profusely, and refuse to see any patients.

Stuff and nonsense, i would never bleed myself.

Evo said:
I'm going to have to come visit you some day Wolram. The historical sites in your area would be a dream to me.

Just up on the hill i can see from my window is a church founded by the nights Templar
Google Burton dassett, it is very interesting.

wolram said:
robin of bishops itchington, in the spring of 1348 you are an odorous Physician.

Your knowledge of medicine saves you from the Black Death, as you bleed yourself profusely, and refuse to see any patients.

Stuff and nonsense, i would never bleed myself.
:rofl: Maybe not now...

Ok, so we three survived, what a pleasant lot, a greedy "peasent", a lecherous nun, and an odorous physician.

wolram said:
Just up on the hill i can see from my window is a church founded by the nights Templar
Google Burton dassett, it is very interesting.
Oooooh, oooh!

Evo said:
NO FAIR! How did you get "lecherous nun"? :devil:

More importantly, how did you AVOID being a lecherous nun? :rofl:

She was doing an Alfred.

Then there is this

http://www.search.windowsonwarwickshire.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?resource=8889

Chesterton is all so the site of a roman fort on the Foss road, i have found coins on the non scheduled edges.

And there is a stone built windmill on the hill.

Kurdt of Gateshead, in the spring of 1348 you are a vile Knight.

You are spared by the Black Death, only to be killed in a freak jousting accident.

Damn! I mean killed fair and square I could handle, but by a freak accident? :cry:

Kurdt said:
Damn! I mean killed fair and square I could handle, but by a freak accident? :cry:

:rofl: That's what you get for jousting with freaks! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: That's what you get for jousting with freaks! :biggrin:

Kurdt said:

Yes i remember that one, your horse stumbled, the tip of you lance dug into the ground,
the sudden stop catapulted you out of the saddle high into the air, you landed head first ,the weight of the armour driving you waste deep in the ground.

wolram said:
Ythe weight of the armour driving you waste deep in the ground.

Eww...waste deep! :yuck: Someone really should clean up after the horses.

Saved

MIH of Alabama, in the spring of 1348 you are a foul-mouthed Serving wench.

You survive the plague and marry the tavern-owner, whose wife conveniently suffers an agonising death from bubonic plague.

Math Is Hard said:
MIH of Alabama, in the spring of 1348 you are a foul-mouthed Serving wench.

You survive the plague and marry the tavern-owner, whose wife conveniently suffers an agonising death from bubonic plague.

:rofl: How convenient!

:cry: How come I am a boring peasant?

But! I outlive all of you! mwahahaha.

But I'm a peasant. :frown:

Was this the documentary that ascribed the mini ice age to the death of half the population of Europe?

Bring out your dead..

Evo said:
:cry: How come I am a boring peasant?

But! I outlive all of you! mwahahaha.

But I'm a peasant. :frown:

You're not just a peasant. You're a greedy peasant. :smile:

Nope, this is purely the plague, as told by reading actual letters, journals etc.. of those that lived (or died) through it. It's really good.

Ooh, the flagellants have just hit the scene.

Later on i gave up being a Physician and bought a tavern

wolram said:
A wise move, someone like you would need a wife to spend your money, I mean help you with the business. :uhh:

wolram said:

You didn't like that old battleaxe wife anyway. That's why I gave the cart pusher nine pence and threw her on the pile. :devil:

Math Is Hard said:
You didn't like that old battleaxe wife anyway. That's why I gave the cart pusher nine pence and threw her on the pile. :devil:

Math Is Hard said:

And when we hired that peasant woman we had so much more spare time.

wolram said:

wolram said:

So, Evo - what kind of snacks did you make up tonight to go with watching the Plague? I can't think of anything suitable.

If you ever need a suit of armour to decorate the tavern and a skeleton for a retired physician you know who to see.

Math Is Hard said:

So, Evo - what kind of snacks did you make up tonight to go with watching the Plague? I can't think of anything suitable.
Butter Lover's popcorn.

Are you watching it?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Butter Lover's popcorn.

Are you watching it?

I have it on, but am not being very good about watching. I keep being distracted by other things. But, mmm...I haven't made myself popcorn in a while...I think I'll make some.

Back