Deflection of beam due to magnetic field

In summary, we discussed the problem of finding the approximate deflection of an electron beam due to a magnetic field in the electron gun of a TV picture tube. We used the Lorentz force to determine the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the electrons and found that this results in circular motion. From there, we derived the equation R = mv/qB to calculate the radius of the circular path and used this to express the deflection in terms of the variables B, D, e, m, and V. A diagram would be helpful in visualizing this process, but unfortunately, the link provided does not include one.
ttiger2k7
[SOLVED] Deflection of beam due to magnetic field

Homework Statement

In the electron gun of a TV picture tube the electrons (charge - e, mass m) are accelerated by a voltage V. After leaving the electron gun, the electron beam travels a distance D to the screen; in this region there is a transverse magnetic field of magnitude B and no electric field.

Find the approximate deflection of the beam due to this magnetic field. (Hint: Place the origin at the center of the electron beam’s arc and compare an undeflected beam’s path to the deflected beam’s path.)
Express your answer in terms of the variables B, D, e, m, and V.

Homework Equations

E/B = ((2eV)/m)

e/m = 1.758E-11 C/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I would show my work, but I really have no idea how to. I tried just typing in the equation for E/B, but it didn't work. Is there a specific formula for deflection?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a specific formula, but it's not an equation that one usually remembers. In any case, I would imagine you are expected to derive such a formula in your working. I'll help you along the way if you like.

A good place to start would be the Lorentz force. What is the magnitude of the force? In what direction does the force act? If a force acts in this direction, what sort of motion results?

Thanks for your help.

Let's see, the magnitude of the Lorentz force is qvB. It acts perpendicular to the force and velocity..am I supposed to know which direction specifically from the information given?

ttiger2k7 said:
Thanks for your help.

Let's see, the magnitude of the Lorentz force is qvB. It acts perpendicular to the force and velocity.
Correct. So, do you know of a certain 'type' of motion where the force always acts perpendicular to the velocity?

Is the motion of the lorentz force circular?

ttiger2k7 said:
Is the motion of the lorentz force circular?
Indeed, so if the motion is circular can you write down an equation for the radius of the circular path the electron follows whilst in the magnetic field?

Hmm, I believe it's

R = mv/qB

Correct, here's a link to the rest of the derivation, http://www.drchaos.net/drchaos/Whit/Lab_Manual/node20.html. It's very difficult to lead someone through the derivation without a diagram (as I've only just found out).

Last edited:
Thanks, got it.

Hootenanny said:
Correct, here's a link to the rest of the derivation, http://www.drchaos.net/drchaos/Whit/Lab_Manual/node20.html. It's very difficult to lead someone through the derivation without a diagram (as I've only just found out).

Hi.. I'm new on this forum.. I'm reading this tread and try to learn it. Can you give any other reference link that have a diagram on it. Maybe it was removed from the link you state here because I can't see any diagram.

Thanks

1. How does a magnetic field cause deflection of a beam?

The deflection of a beam due to a magnetic field is caused by the Lorentz force, which is the force exerted on a charged particle in a magnetic field. When a beam of charged particles, such as electrons, passes through a magnetic field, the individual particles experience a force that causes them to deflect from their original path.

2. What factors affect the amount of deflection in a beam due to a magnetic field?

The amount of deflection in a beam due to a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the particles in the beam, and the charge of the particles. Additionally, the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the beam can also impact the amount of deflection.

3. What types of beams are commonly used in experiments involving deflection by a magnetic field?

Electron beams are commonly used in experiments involving deflection by a magnetic field. This is because electrons have a negative charge and can easily be accelerated and controlled using electric and magnetic fields. However, other types of charged particle beams, such as protons and ions, can also be used.

4. How is the deflection of a beam due to a magnetic field measured?

The deflection of a beam due to a magnetic field can be measured using various techniques, such as a cathode ray oscilloscope or a particle detector. These instruments can detect the position of the beam as it is deflected and display it on a screen or record it for later analysis.

5. What are some practical applications of studying deflection of beams by magnetic fields?

The study of deflection of beams by magnetic fields has many practical applications, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and CRT televisions. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce detailed images of the human body.