Brainstorming for a new physics/engineering project

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, the person built a Tesla Coil as a fun and challenging project. It took them a year to complete due to their busy schedule. Now, they are looking for a new project to occupy their time and relax.
IHateMayonnaise
Hello!

I find that a very good way to relax is to work on some side project when I get too stressed out or need to debug. For the past few months my project has been a Tesla Coil - but now that it is complete I need a new project! I am most interested in building something that results in instant gratification (obviously), so the first thing that comes to mind is a small coilgun or possibly a railgun. The technical challenges that would arise from both of these projects are quite cumbersome - one in particular is money. I would prefer to not go over a few hundred dollars, and I have a feeling that the capacitor banks required for both the aforementioned guns will surpass this budget (among the other necessary components). I am pretty good at electrical engineering stuff, although I am not as savvy at computer engineering as I wish (programming protoboards is easy though). One thing I've always wanted to mess with are those Nixie Tubes - maybe I could turn a set into a clock or something.

Clearly, the usefulness of whatever I end up making will be questionable; I am just looking for something to help occupy the time. I have searched old threads and have found some ideas, however my plan is to make this a little more than a "Science Fair Project," and as such I need to think outside these constraints. Nonetheless, I will continue searching both inside PF and out, however I just wanted to drop a line in here to see if anybody had any suggestions.

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this can give you a start.
http://www.anothercoilgunsite.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
IHateMayonnaise said:
Hello!

I find that a very good way to relax is to work on some side project when I get too stressed out or need to debug. For the past few months my project has been a Tesla Coil - but now that it is complete I need a new project! I am most interested in building something that results in instant gratification (obviously), so the first thing that comes to mind is a small coilgun or possibly a railgun. The technical challenges that would arise from both of these projects are quite cumbersome - one in particular is money. I would prefer to not go over a few hundred dollars, and I have a feeling that the capacitor banks required for both the aforementioned guns will surpass this budget (among the other necessary components). I am pretty good at electrical engineering stuff, although I am not as savvy at computer engineering as I wish (programming protoboards is easy though). One thing I've always wanted to mess with are those Nixie Tubes - maybe I could turn a set into a clock or something.

Clearly, the usefulness of whatever I end up making will be questionable; I am just looking for something to help occupy the time. I have searched old threads and have found some ideas, however my plan is to make this a little more than a "Science Fair Project," and as such I need to think outside these constraints. Nonetheless, I will continue searching both inside PF and out, however I just wanted to drop a line in here to see if anybody had any suggestions.

Cheers,
IHateMayonnaise

What was your motive behind building a Tesla Coil? Did you want to build a Tesla Coil simply to see a display of its remarkable effects? How long did it take you to complete your Tesla Coil Project.

Benzoate said:
What was your motive behind building a Tesla Coil? Did you want to build a Tesla Coil simply to see a display of its remarkable effects? How long did it take you to complete your Tesla Coil Project.

Well, I wanted to build one because 1) it was cool (obviously), and 2) due to the technical challenges that would arise during its construction. It was a really fun project because it forced me to become extremely creative and crafty - i.e. figuring out how to build the thing with limited resources. This was my original motivation; however I ended up finishing the coil as an extra credit project for my E&M course.

I originally decided to build the coil in the spring of 07, about a year ago. Between then and september I only managed to locate the capacitors and transformer, and in the following months I managed to mount the primary coil to my ghetto-rigged table thing and also wind the secondary. Between the beginning of the spring semester of 08 and a few weeks ago I finished everything else. Honestly, I could have probably finished the project in just a few months, however my schedule is busy with school, internships, jobs, and various social activities, so it took me a while. Nonetheless, I had fun at every stage of the project, it even relaxed me to work on it. So, now I need something else! (Thanks for the reply, by the way)

IHateMayonnaise

1. What is the purpose of brainstorming for a new physics/engineering project?

The purpose of brainstorming is to generate a large number of ideas and potential solutions for a new project. It allows for creativity and outside-the-box thinking, leading to innovative and effective solutions.

2. How should a brainstorming session be structured?

A brainstorming session should begin with a clear goal or problem statement. Then, participants should be encouraged to share any and all ideas without criticism or judgement. The session should be time-limited and should end with a prioritization of the most promising ideas.

3. How can I ensure that all team members are actively participating in the brainstorming process?

To ensure active participation, it is important to create a safe and inclusive environment where all ideas are valued. Encourage everyone to speak up and actively listen to others' ideas. Incorporating a variety of brainstorming techniques, such as round-robin or mind mapping, can also help keep everyone engaged.

4. Can brainstorming be done individually or does it require a group setting?

Brainstorming can be done individually, but it is often more effective in a group setting. Working with a diverse group of individuals with different backgrounds and perspectives can lead to a wider range of ideas and a more comprehensive solution.

5. How can I ensure that the ideas generated during brainstorming are feasible and practical?

It is important to remember that the purpose of brainstorming is to generate a large quantity of ideas, not to evaluate their feasibility. Once the session is over, the team can review and analyze the ideas to determine which ones are feasible and practical to pursue further. It may also be helpful to consult with experts or conduct further research to assess the viability of the ideas.