Testing Effects of X-Radiation on Flash Memory

In summary, the conversation discussed a science fair project involving testing the effects of X-radiation on flash memory. The project involved filling 16MB Compactflash cards with data, hash checking the data, exposing them to radiation, and then hash checking again for any data corruption. The challenge was in creating 3876 files of 4KiB each, as the maximum number of files allowed in the root directory was causing issues. The suggestion of using a batch file to copy a file called 1.txt n times with the filenames as 1+n.txt was also mentioned.
Ewan_C
Hi guys

For a science fair project, I am going to test the effects of X-radiation on flash memory. I'm intending to fill a number of 16MB (15,876,096 byte) Compactflash cards with data, hash check the data with hkSFV, expose them to the radiation and hash check again for any data corruption.

The flash cards have a block size of 4KiB. To make the hash checking more 'accurate', I'd like to use many files which are as small as possible - this would be 3876 files of 4KiB each. However, I'm struggling to actually get 3876 4KiB files on a card, or onto my hard disk. It's easy enough to make a 4KiB file, just open notepad and write 4096 1s. I can't figure out how to make 3875 copies of this file though. If I use copy+paste in Windows XP, I get a 'disk is full or write-protected' error after about 1375 files, every time. I think it's a naming problem - I can never get above 'Copy of (999) file.txt'.

I think this could be done much better with a batch file. However my batch file writing skills are limited. Could anyone advise me on how to write a batch file which copies a file called 1.txt n times, with the filenames as 1+n.txt?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Maybe it's down to the number of items allowed in the root directory...

Ah, thanks for that. That's what's causing the problem.

What is X-Radiation and how does it affect flash memory?

X-Radiation, also known as X-rays, is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a shorter wavelength and higher energy than visible light. When exposed to X-radiation, flash memory can experience changes in its electrical properties, resulting in potential data loss or corruption.

What are the potential risks of testing X-Radiation on flash memory?

The main risk of testing X-Radiation on flash memory is the potential damage to the memory itself. Depending on the intensity and duration of the exposure, the data stored on the flash memory can become corrupted or completely erased. There is also a risk of exposing oneself to harmful levels of radiation if proper safety measures are not taken.

How is the testing of X-Radiation on flash memory conducted?

The testing process typically involves exposing the flash memory to X-Radiation in a controlled environment. This can be done using specialized equipment that can emit X-rays at specific intensities and durations. The flash memory is then tested for any changes in its electrical properties or data integrity.

What are the potential benefits of testing X-Radiation on flash memory?

One potential benefit of testing X-Radiation on flash memory is gaining a better understanding of how radiation affects electronic devices. This knowledge can then be used to develop more robust and radiation-resistant flash memory technology. Additionally, testing can also help identify potential vulnerabilities in existing flash memory devices.

Are there any regulations or guidelines for testing X-Radiation on flash memory?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines in place to ensure the safe and ethical testing of X-Radiation on flash memory. These may vary depending on the country or organization conducting the testing, but generally, they include measures to protect both the individuals conducting the testing and the environment from potential harm.