Finding D2 for a Dielectric Interface with Given Conditions

In summary, the question is about finding the electric flux density on the other side of a dielectric interface described by the equation 4y+3z=12. The solution involves finding the unit vector of the equation, calculating E1 using the equation D=(epsilon)E, finding E1n and E1t, and using the equation (Eps)r1 E1n = (Eps)r2 E2n to find E2n and E2t. Finally, using the equation D=(epsilon)E, D2 can be calculated. The asker also wants to confirm if their method of solving this problem is correct.
kloong
Urgent: Boundary Condition querries.

Homework Statement

Question given: A dielectric interface is described by 4y+3z=12. The side including the origin is free space and its electric flux density, D=ax+3ay+2az (micro) C/m2. On the other side, (Epsilon)r2 = 2. Find D2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so this is how i try to solve it:
1. I get the unit vector of the equation given(but only make use of 4y + 3z).

2. Then i get the E1. (by using the eq D=(eps)E) thus getting: (ax+3ay+2az)(micro)eps^-1.
>> is it correct? because i am familiar doing it with E and not D. am i suppose to do it this way? or are there any better alternate ways?

3. Then i went on to get E1n by using the equation (E . an)(an).

4. Then E1t. (E1 = E1n + E1t)

5. Then E2n ( (Eps)r1 E1n = (Eps)r2 E2n) )

6. And finally, E2 = E2n + E2t. And using the eq D=(eps)E to get D2.

thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing I see missing from all this is what the QUESTION itself is! What exactly are you trying to find?

the second step. if it is correct if i change the given D to E1 using the equation D=(eps)E.

apart from that, i want to know if my way of doing it is correct or not.

1. What are boundary conditions in scientific modeling?

Boundary conditions are constraints or specifications that are applied to a mathematical model in order to accurately simulate real-world scenarios. They define the limits or boundaries of the system being studied and help to ensure that the model produces realistic results.

2. Why are boundary conditions important in scientific research?

Boundary conditions are essential for validating and verifying mathematical models. They help to ensure that the model is accurately representing the real-world system and producing meaningful results. Without boundary conditions, a model may produce unrealistic or inaccurate results.

3. How are boundary conditions determined?

Boundary conditions are typically determined through experimental data, physical laws, and theoretical assumptions. They may also be adjusted as the model is refined and new data becomes available. In some cases, boundary conditions may also be estimated or approximated based on the available information.

4. Can boundary conditions change over time?

Yes, boundary conditions can change over time. This is particularly true in dynamic systems, where the conditions at the boundaries may vary depending on external factors or internal processes. In such cases, it is important to carefully track and monitor changes in boundary conditions to ensure the model remains accurate.

5. What are some common types of boundary conditions?

Common types of boundary conditions include fixed, prescribed, and mixed. Fixed boundary conditions specify a specific value or condition at the boundary, while prescribed conditions dictate a function or relationship between the boundary and the rest of the system. Mixed boundary conditions combine elements of both fixed and prescribed conditions.