Solid-state transformations in crystalline material

In summary, Tom observed that when he exposed a crystalline oxide (MoO3) to elevated temperatures (750C) in a strongly reducing atmosphere (H2/CH4) to effect the transformation, the material's density increased, but the overall morphology and (aggregate) particle sizes were retained through the reaction.
tom0112358
Hi,

I am an inorganic chemist and I am looking for some guidance on where to find a mathematical/physical description of phenomena which I have been observing in a solid-state transformation. I am working with a crystalline oxide (MoO3) which I expose to elevated temperatures (750C) in a strongly reducing atmosphere (H2/CH4) to effect the transformation:
MoO3 --> MoO2 --> Mo2C

The materials have successively increasing density (cf. 4g/cm3 - 6g/cm3 - 9g/cm3) and for reasons I won't go into, the overall morphology and (aggregate) particle sizes are retained through the reaction albeit in highly fragmented forms. This results in a large increase in surface area with each transformation. The final surface area appears to be unrelated to the initial surface area of the starting material which makes me wonder what basic principles lie behind the fracturing of the initial crystal form and formation of the final contracted particles.

Please let me know if the problem is not clear enough and I will try to explain more fully. Thanks for reading this far!

cheers
Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Tom, welcome to PF. You might be interested in Porter and Easterling's Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys. I know these are ceramics that you're working with, but the concepts of nucleation and growth of new phases apply to them too. P&E provide a very nice description of the factors at play during solid state transformations: the volumetric free energy decrease that drives the reaction, and the surface energy penalty of the new phase and its interface with the surrounding material. The interplay of these factors--along with subtleties such as orientation-dependent surface energy--explain a great number of experimental observations such as crystal faceting and dendritic formation. Besides the strong theoretical base, there are plenty of good photographs, some of which may match what you've seen in your samples and may give a deeper understanding of the fundamentals.

Thanks Mapes,

Luckily it appears that we have that book in our library... I will check it out.

cheers
Tom

1. What are solid-state transformations in crystalline material?

Solid-state transformations in crystalline material refer to the changes that occur in the arrangement of atoms or molecules within a crystal lattice. This can involve changes in the crystal structure, composition, or physical properties of the material.

2. What causes solid-state transformations in crystalline material?

Solid-state transformations can be triggered by a variety of factors, including changes in temperature, pressure, or chemical environment. They can also occur naturally over time due to diffusion of atoms within the crystal lattice.

3. How do solid-state transformations affect the properties of crystalline material?

The transformations can lead to changes in the physical, mechanical, or chemical properties of the material. For example, a change in crystal structure can alter the material's strength, conductivity, or color.

4. Why are solid-state transformations important in materials science?

Solid-state transformations play a crucial role in understanding and controlling the properties of materials. They are essential for the development of new materials with improved properties and for optimizing the processing conditions of existing materials.

5. Can solid-state transformations be reversed?

In some cases, solid-state transformations can be reversed by changing the external conditions, such as temperature or pressure. However, some transformations are irreversible and can permanently alter the properties of the material.