Back Online - All Mission Critical Components Working

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
tiny-tim said:
if it can't find the website, or if the website has deleted, or never stored, the original formula, then it prints "the last thing it thought of! :biggrin:" … probably whatever's on your clipboard.

For example, if you save a PF page to disk, and then look at it while you're not connected to PF, again you see a formula from your own computer. :smile:

For that reason, I don't think any of the existing non-working LaTeX will appear once the forum is back to normal. :redface:
I think it will. Remember what happens if you edit one of your own posts right after you posted it? When you save the change, you will often see the old version of the formula, but a simple refresh is enough to solve that problem. Why would something more than that be needed in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
I think that's because your computer doesn't know what to do with the LaTeX …

first, it asks the website …

Whenever you preview a post with LaTeX, the LaTeX code makes "preview files" on our disk with names like preview-0-<username>.png. Right now, the LaTeX system is not able to produce images, so images from your last successful preview are still present. Your browser shows you those, not realizing that new ones should have been created.

- Warren

Fredrik said:
It's very likely that the answer is yes, since everything looks fine when you click the "quote" button. (If you click the failed latex image instead, there's a "/" missing at the end).

No, images are created only once, at posting time. If you post LaTeX while the system is down, you will always receive the error image, instead. Once the system is back up, you can edit your posts, forcing the images to be re-created.

- Warren

Ouch, you can't edit your posts... So some will be lost forever.

You can certainly edit your posts, Borek. I'm not sure what you mean?

If needed, we can extend the editing window temporarily.

- Warren

Or contact by PM one's friendly moderator/mentor who will gladly assist one in making appropriate edits to an errant LaTeX entry. :smile: :cool: :approve:

Astronuc said:
Or contact by PM one's friendly moderator/mentor who will gladly assist one in making appropriate edits to an errant LaTeX entry. :smile: :cool: :approve:

How kind of you to offer, Astro! :wink:

chroot said:
You can certainly edit your posts, Borek. I'm not sure what you mean?

Only for 24 hours.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=265884

So if I post something with LaTeX now, and LaTeX starts in 25 hours from now, I can't do anything about my post. Not to mention everything I posted earlier. And no - I have not used LaTeX lately, so it is more of theoretical problem.

However, that means some of the posts may require mentors attention. Could be just opening them for edition and saving will be enough.

Astronuc said:

cristo said:
How kind of you to offer, Astro! :wink:

:rofl: I'll caution folks not to ask me to do it. I don't know which end is up with LaTex, so would not be of much help if you needed a thread edited. But, plenty of the mentors ARE well-versed with it, so if you're running into trouble, give them a heads-up. Don't expect immediate responses if they all get inundated with requests, but I'm sure help can be arranged eventually.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I'll caution folks not to ask me to do it. I don't know which end is up with LaTex, so would not be of much help if you needed a thread edited. But, plenty of the mentors ARE well-versed with it, so if you're running into trouble, give them a heads-up. Don't expect immediate responses if they all get inundated with requests, but I'm sure help can be arranged eventually.

I can deal with oil, casein (milk based paint), tempur, and latex. But latex ballet costumes are better left to another party.

Sorry about the AM downtime. Late last night I moved mysql to it's own HD and apparently I forgot some settings.