Induction Motor Modification

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a standard industrial motor for an EV conversion, but notes the limitations of weight and rated rpm and hp. The idea of modifying the motor for lower voltage and higher frequency is also mentioned, but the efficiency loss and other potential issues are still unknown. The conversation suggests using a motor designed for a variable frequency drive and provides links to NEMA resources for more information.
yikes
I am planning an EV conversion and have been looking at different motor options that would be feasible to use. One possibility that i have been investigating is using a standard industrial motor. The main limitation encountered with these motors are the weight and the rated rpm and hp. On another forum there has been discussion about rewiring a standard motor for a lower voltage and then driving the motor at a higher frequency to obtain the needed rpm and hp requirements. In theory this should work, but some unanswered questions remain. What efficiency loss will be experienced as a result of this modification? Will ther be increased I2R losses? What about any other losses due to magnetic changes. What increases could be achieved with a standard 230/460v, 1800 rpm, 15 hp motor. Ideal parameters would be in the 5-6000 rpm range with a rated hp/kW rating of 40-50. I greatly appreciate any advice, help, or smacks in the face to wake me up from a possible dreamworld scenario.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Induction motors run quite well above nameplate frequency an constant V/Hz providing rated torque and increased speed and horsepower. A 230/460 volt motor can be run on the 230 volt connection up to 460 volts, 120 Hz. Bearings, balance, and centrifugal force on the rotor would be issues to check. Many 1800 RPM motors can go to 3600 RPM without difficulty, but running a 3600 RPM motor at 7200 RPM would be more difficult. A TEFC motor might need a smaller fan. You should use a motor designed to run on a variable frequency drive. That may mean that the fan will be oversized to start with.

You might want to consider running an 1800 RPM motor to 120 Hz at constant V/Hz and at constant voltage, constant power, from 120 Hz to 180 Hz.

A condensed version of the NEMA motor standard is available as a free download:
http://www.nema.org/stds/mg1condensed.cfm [Broken]

The NEMA Application Guide for AC Adjustable Speed Drive Systems is available as a free download:
http://www.nema.org/stds/acadjustable.cfm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

I would first like to commend you for considering a sustainable option like EV conversion for your project. Using a standard industrial motor for this purpose is a feasible option, but it is important to carefully consider the limitations and modifications required to achieve your desired parameters.

Rewiring a standard motor for lower voltage and driving it at a higher frequency can potentially work, but it is important to note that it may result in efficiency losses. This is because the motor is not designed for this specific voltage and frequency, and the modifications may not be able to fully compensate for this mismatch. Additionally, there may be increased I2R losses and other losses due to changes in magnetic fields, as you have mentioned.

To accurately determine the efficiency loss and other potential impacts of this modification, it would be necessary to conduct thorough testing and analysis. This would involve measuring the motor's performance at different voltage and frequency combinations and comparing it to its original design specifications. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of motor modification to get a better understanding of the potential effects and limitations of this approach.

In terms of the increases that could be achieved with a standard 230/460v, 1800 rpm, 15 hp motor, it is difficult to give a precise answer without conducting the necessary testing and analysis. However, it is important to keep in mind that the motor's design and construction are optimized for its specific voltage and frequency, and any modifications may not be able to fully compensate for this.

In summary, while using a standard industrial motor for your EV conversion may be a viable option, it is important to carefully consider the limitations and potential impacts of modifying the motor for your specific requirements. I hope this information helps guide your decision-making process, and I wish you success in your project.

1. What is an Induction Motor Modification?

An induction motor modification refers to any changes or adjustments made to an induction motor, which is a type of electric motor commonly used in various industrial and commercial applications. These modifications can range from simple repairs or upgrades to more complex changes that alter the performance or functionality of the motor.

2. Why would you need to modify an Induction Motor?

There are several reasons why an induction motor may need to be modified. Some common reasons include improving efficiency, increasing power output, adapting to different power sources, or accommodating changes in the application or environment where the motor is being used.

3. What are some common types of Induction Motor Modifications?

Some common types of induction motor modifications include changing the stator winding configuration, modifying the rotor design or materials, altering the motor controls or drive system, and adjusting the motor's cooling system. Other modifications may involve adding or removing components, such as capacitors or bearings, to improve performance.

4. Can any type of Induction Motor be modified?

In general, most types of induction motors can be modified to some extent. However, the level of modification that can be done may vary depending on the specific motor design and its intended use. It is best to consult a professional or the manufacturer before attempting any modifications to ensure they are appropriate and safe.

5. Is it necessary to hire a professional for Induction Motor Modifications?

While some simpler modifications may be possible to do yourself, it is generally recommended to hire a professional for any significant changes to an induction motor. This is because they have the knowledge and expertise to properly assess the motor and make the necessary modifications without causing damage or safety hazards. Additionally, modifications done by a professional may be covered under warranty or certification requirements.