How much math is involved in physics?

• Thread starter ScienceNerd36
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Required Mathematics for Theoretical Particle Physics ...My mathematics background now is up to and including Partial DiffEq(BVP,etc), a basic Linear Algebra, and Complex Analysis. I'm currently reading a textbook on Algebraic Topology and set theory that I felt I should know, if only as a base. What other mathematics are used that I should pick up on my own?...This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more about the person's goals and interests in particle physics. However, a few of the more common areas of mathematics that are used in particle physics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector analysis.
ScienceNerd36
The title says it all.

How much time of my college career in particle physics will be spent learning mathematical concepts, theorems and equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about math courses in general or how much math will you use in your physics class. For math courses these are fairly standard:
Calc I & II
differential equations
linear algebra
vector analysis
You may need more or less depending on the program.

By college, I assume you mean graduate school. There's no undergraduate course that is purely particle physics.

ScienceNerd36 said:
The title says it all.

How much time of my college career in particle physics will be spent learning mathematical concepts, theorems and equations?

K.J.Healey said:
Required Mathematics for Theoretical Particle Physics ...My mathematics background now is up to and including Partial DiffEq(BVP,etc), a basic Linear Algebra, and Complex Analysis. I'm currently reading a textbook on Algebraic Topology and set theory that I felt I should know, if only as a base. What other mathematics are used that I should pick up on my own?...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=175016

There are some more comments about required math in that link.

Well, the OP is really asking HOW MUCH TIME that s/he would spend on math, so I am very confused.
Because if one is already in college, or even, as someone suggest earlier, in the grad school already, he or she should have some basic idea of how much math is involved. So I couldn't resist to wonder why the OP is asking this question?
My answer is, it depends. Do you just want to take all the basic math classes that physics major requires? Or are you curious about all the advance, proof base (and fascinating in my opinion!) math? And then, what are you expecting to get for those classes in terms of grade? A? B?
This is my back-of-the-envelope calculation: in my university, one credit is corresponded to about 4-7 hours of work. So to barely fulfill my physics department requirement, it'll be 76 hours-133 hours, plus strongly suggested 2 classes, which should be 24-42 hours cover, say vector analysis, Fourier transformation, etc.
Of course, if you have already finished Calc I and II, then please subtract 40-70 hours from above.
And if you want to do some advance math classes, maybe add another 100 hours of class load?
This might sound intimidating, but keep in mind that you can spread them over 2-4 years. Which is not a lot.

millitiz said:
Well, the OP is really asking HOW MUCH TIME that s/he would spend on math, so I am very confused.
Because if one is already in college, or even, as someone suggest earlier, in the grad school already, he or she should have some basic idea of how much math is involved. So I couldn't resist to wonder why the OP is asking this question?

If the OP is even remotely asking about particle theory he should know that is probably the most abstract math oriented area of physics and particle physics in general is more math oriented than other branches so if he is worried about the amount of math it might be time to consider other areas of physics or maybe even other areas of science.

dx said:
By college, I assume you mean graduate school. There's no undergraduate course that is purely particle physics.

That's not exactly true. I'm taking an undergraduate course it particle theory.

It seems to me like the OP is not yet in college. If you are a high schooler and interested in physics but worried about math, I have a few suggestions.

First:
Practice the basic math over and over until you are better than anyone else you know. By "basic math" I mean calculus. This is absolutely essential. Calculus is a type of math that requires little as far as proofs and theorems, so most people can become very proficient at it with enough practice.

This is so important because if you can bring yourself to a point that the calculus comes naturally, you will be able to devote your full attention to the physics. You'll still be doing math, but it will be like folding your clothes.

Second:
Beyond calculus, most of the math that I have needed in undergraduate study is introduced within my physics classes. This has increased my interest in math because it means that the math is seen alongside the physics. I get to see the ways that particular ideas in math are well suited to application in physics.

ScienceNerd36 said:
How much math is involved in physics?

All of it.

ScienceNerd36 said:

It's almost impossible to underestimate how much real time you'll spend learning math in your college career... if that helps.

reverbtank said:
That's not exactly true. I'm taking an undergraduate course it particle theory.

I meant that there's no undergraduate degree that is purely about particle physics.

Thank You

1. How much math is needed to study physics?

The amount of math required for physics depends on the level of physics being studied. At a basic level, algebra and geometry are sufficient. For more advanced topics, calculus and linear algebra are necessary. Additionally, higher level physics courses may also require knowledge of differential equations and complex numbers.

2. Can I study physics without being good at math?

While a strong foundation in math is essential for studying physics, it is possible to improve your math skills through practice and dedication. Physics and math are closely related, so a good understanding of math can greatly enhance your understanding of physics concepts.

3. What is the most important math for physics?

Different areas of physics may require different types of math. However, calculus is considered to be the most important type of math for physics as it is used to describe and analyze motion and change in physical systems.

4. Is physics all about math?

While math is a crucial tool for understanding and describing physical phenomena, it is not the only aspect of physics. Physics also involves experimentation, observation, and critical thinking. These skills are necessary for applying mathematical principles to real-world situations.

5. Do I need to be a math genius to excel in physics?

While having a natural aptitude for math can certainly be helpful, it is not a requirement for excelling in physics. With hard work, dedication, and a willingness to learn, anyone can become proficient in the math necessary for studying physics.