What Math Courses Should an Aspiring Aerospace Engineer or Physicist Consider?

• Courses
  • Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the courses that would be beneficial to a physics major who decides to do a double major in aerospace engineering would include linear algebra, more differential equations, upper level probability and/or statistics, numerical analysis, math modeling, non-linear dynamics, intro-stat, and numerical methods.
osnarf
I'm debating doing a double major in aerospace engineering and physics. What are some math courses that would be beneficial to each major (In case I chose to go with only one) that are not usually required by the department?

Physics news on Phys.org
osnarf said:
I'm debating doing a double major in aerospace engineering and physics. What are some math courses that would be beneficial to each major (In case I chose to go with only one) that are not usually required by the department?

In engineering, useful math that isn't always required includes linear algebra, more differential equations, upper level probability and/or statistics, numerical analysis, math modeling... I get the feeling that none of those would be first choice math electives for physics though.

In any case it also depends on what your goals are.

Well as far as physics goes I would be talking about theoretical not experimental. I really don't know about a specialization yet though. That's a little ways away though.

take as much diff eq and PDE as you can stomach, then take some more. Along these lines, I would also suggest taking linear and non-linear dynamical systems. I was amazed how much insight I gained from a single course in non-linear dynamics. Really helped me visualize what is going on behind the scenes and actually cleared up a lot of things I really didn't get from linear.

stat is good to have, but honestly, I am doing fine on just intro-stat. Everything else stat related that I've needed has been covered in other classes.

Some sort of numerical methods course would also be beneficial. Even as a pure physics major, you will not be able to avoid computer simulation, and at least understanding how discrete solvers work and their limitations is important for anyone seeking a degree in science.

Honestly, unless you are contemplating a grad level course in game-theory (even that may have applications), I don't believe there is a math class you can take that won't help you in some way. both fields are looking at the world through math-colored glasses and the better you are able to imagine the world in this fashion, the better off you are.

honestly, I would compare the required classes list between the two and take the overlapping classes as long as possible until you make a decision. If you wind up finding a math course that you want to take, but the credits won't count towards your degree, just ask the prof if you can sit in on the lecture. You still get the exposure to the material but you don't have the added homework load (and you don't have to pay for it).

1. What are the basic math courses I should take as a scientist?

As a scientist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics. The basic math courses you should take include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. These will provide you with the necessary skills to solve complex equations and analyze data.

2. Do I need to take statistics as a scientist?

Yes, statistics is a crucial course for scientists. It will teach you how to collect, analyze, and interpret data, which is a fundamental aspect of any scientific research. Understanding statistics will also help you make informed decisions and draw accurate conclusions from your experiments.

3. Are advanced math courses necessary for a career in science?

It depends on the specific field of science you are pursuing. For example, if you are interested in physics or engineering, advanced math courses like differential equations and linear algebra are essential. However, if your focus is in biology or psychology, these courses may not be as necessary.

4. Can I skip math courses if I am not good at math?

No, math is a fundamental subject in science and cannot be skipped. It is important to work on improving your math skills and seek help if needed. Many universities offer tutoring services or have math labs where you can get additional support.

5. How can I determine which math courses are required for my specific field of science?

You can consult with your academic advisor or research the requirements for your desired career path. Additionally, looking at the course requirements for related undergraduate or graduate programs can give you an idea of what math courses are necessary for your field of interest.