Programmable Logic Control PLC

In summary, this person is looking into automation of basic tasks and thinks a PLC is the best approach. They recommend a site called Entertron.com, and mention that a PIC from microchip is an easy to use and cheap option. They also mention that 80% of their time is spent waiting for EPROM turnaround.
dingpud
I am looking into some automation of basic tasks, and think that a PLC is the best approach.

http://www.entertron.com/

This is a site that another forum recommended. Has anyone else used anything from these guys in the past? I have very very basic programming skills and need something that I can pick up rather quickely. I saw a unit in McMaster that seemed easy to use with a ladder style programming module, or a software suite that you interfaced with via RS-232.

Any help, war stories, trials and/or tribulations are welcome.

(I hope this was the right forum to post this in)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Give a look at http://www.keyence.com/products/barcode/plc/plc.php". They make a line of easy to use inexpensive PLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation would be to use a PIC from microchip. You can get a nice kits from www.rentron.com. If of course learning PicBasic isn't what you want to do, you can also learn assembler (painfull if you ask me) and program the chips like that. I have found that a PIC is easy to use once you've wrapped your head around the basic principle (get the book PIC Microcontroller Prroject book, ISBN 0-07-143704-5 for an easy to understand intro) and they are cheap and abundant. If you decide to go this way, I highly recommend you get the PicBasicPro compiler, not just the entry level version.

I programmed a simple PLC to control an unmanned storage and retrieval crane for warehouses. The PLC received a command from a computer to store or retrieve a load from a specific location and the PLC handled all the functions including speed of the crane based on how far from the location it was, parity checking of the location address, checking whether a bin that should be empty was in fact full and vice versa and stopping the crane if the load toppled over. It was even programmed to board a car that would take the crane to a different aisle.

This was around 1981. We also had an onboard computer that handled a few functions the PLC could not do such as checking for prohibited locations like ones where there was a fire sprinkler or a light fixture. To debug the code for the computer in those days, the EPROMs had to be sent back to the home office and through lengthy phone conversations with the field, the code was fixed, the PROMS were burned and sent back to the field. With the PLC, I could modify the circuit on the spot. Even though the PLC had by far the more complicated part of the operation, about 80% of my time was waiting for EPROM turnaround.

I can say that a Programmable Logic Control (PLC) is indeed a great approach for automation of basic tasks. PLCs are widely used in industrial and manufacturing settings for their reliability, flexibility, and ease of use. They allow for control and monitoring of various processes and equipment, making them an essential tool for efficient and streamlined operations.

I have not personally used any products from Entertron, but from my research, they seem to offer a range of PLCs and related software that are user-friendly and suitable for those with basic programming skills. Their ladder style programming module and software suite with RS-232 interface are common and convenient options for programming PLCs.

It is always helpful to hear about others' experiences with a particular product or brand. I would recommend reaching out to others who have used Entertron products or looking for reviews online to get a better understanding of their performance and reliability. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consult with a professional or attend training to ensure optimal utilization of the PLC for your specific needs.

Overall, using a PLC from a reputable brand like Entertron can greatly enhance the automation of your basic tasks. I hope this response was helpful, and I wish you success in your automation project.

1. What is a Programmable Logic Control (PLC)?

A Programmable Logic Control (PLC) is a type of computer specially designed for industrial automation. It is used to control and automate various electromechanical processes in manufacturing plants and other industrial settings.

2. How does a PLC work?

A PLC works by receiving inputs from sensors and other devices, processing that information using a programmable logic program, and then sending outputs to control various industrial processes and equipment. The program can be modified or reprogrammed as needed to adapt to changing production needs.

3. What are the advantages of using a PLC?

Some advantages of using a PLC include increased efficiency and productivity, improved reliability and safety, easier troubleshooting and maintenance, and the ability to easily modify and expand the control system as needed.

4. What industries use PLCs?

PLCs are used in a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, energy and utilities, transportation, food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and many others. They are especially useful in industries that require precise and automated control of processes and equipment.

5. How do I become a PLC programmer?

To become a PLC programmer, you will need a strong background in electrical engineering, computer science, or a related field. You will also need to gain experience with PLC programming languages, such as ladder logic, and familiarize yourself with the different brands and models of PLCs used in your chosen industry. Many companies also offer training programs and certifications for PLC programming.