Help clarifying a question regarding (i think) cyclic groups

In summary, the conversation discusses a group G with a finite number of elements and demonstrates that for any element a in G, there exists a positive integer n such that raising a to the power of n results in the identity element, e. The conversation also mentions using the cancellation laws to solve the problem. Additionally, the conversation discusses another problem related to the number of elements in G and its identity element, e. The problem states that if G has an even number of elements, then there exists an element a that is not equal to e such that a*a=e. The question asks for clarification on whether this means every element in G is its own inverse or just one particular element. The individual is unsure of how to approach this problem but is
bennyska

Homework Statement

Let G be a group with a finite number of elements. Show that for any a in G, there exists an n in Z+ such that an=e.

Homework Equations

a hint is given: consider e, a, a2,...am, where m is the number of elements in G, and use the cancellation laws.

The Attempt at a Solution

so part of the trouble I'm having (i'm guessing the most important part), is figuring out what they're asking. is the number n I'm looking for a number that when any a in G is raised to, it gives the identity? i.e. (i'm just picking random letters) an= e and bn=e when a and b are not equal but n is the same in both? i was working on this question for a while thinking it to mean that a particular ap might have n0 while aq might have n1 to take it to e (identity).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
and then another problem in the same set as the previous one, that may hinge on the same language:
show that if G is a finite group with identity e and with an even number of elements, then there is a not equal to e such that a*a=e.
does this mean every element in G is its own inverse, or just one particular element? not really sure where i'd begin either way, but just to point me in the right direction.

What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a type of mathematical group in which every element can be generated by a single element, known as the generator. This means that the group can be "cycled" through repeatedly using the generator to create all of its elements.

How do I know if a group is cyclic?

To determine if a group is cyclic, you can check if there is a single element that can generate all other elements in the group. This element is known as the generator. If such an element exists, the group is cyclic.

What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements it contains. It is equal to the number of times the generator must be multiplied by itself to produce the identity element (usually denoted as e or 1).

Can a group have more than one generator?

Yes, a group can have multiple generators. In fact, if a group is cyclic, it will have multiple generators. For example, in the cyclic group of integers modulo n (denoted as Zn), every element is a generator.

What are some real-life examples of cyclic groups?

Cyclic groups can be found in many areas of mathematics, physics, and computer science. Some examples include the set of rotations of a regular polygon, the set of integers with addition as the operation, and the set of permutations of a finite set. Cyclic groups are also used in cryptography and coding theory.