Electrical v Computer Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between EE and CE, and the potential employability and social perceptions associated with each degree. The question is raised about which degree would be more useful in a catastrophic outbreak, with the response stating that both degrees have their own specialties but other engineering degrees may be more beneficial in such a situation.
SELFMADE
I know its been talked a lot before and I have used the search feature, seems like most topics are pretty old, so here it is:

Which should I go with? Which would have best potential in the future? I keep hearing these two are practically the same, except for few classes. If I go with EE then I won't get many programming/networking classes and that could hinder employment opportunities, if I decided to go with that route, I assume. EE sounds cooler and respectable. When you say EE you get certain aura and mystery about you, but when you say Computer Engineering--just another nerd.

Ok, this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately: if a catastrophic outbreak occurs and 98% of the human population is wiped out, which would be more useful? EE or CE?

Physics news on Phys.org
CE is basically EE with a specialization in digital circuits, but you can take more classes in analog/power/control/communications/devices/etc. as they suit your interest, which is pretty much what you'd be doing with an EE degree anyway. On the flip, you can do EE and pick up a minor in CS. (Or just take algorithms and data structures, which are the two most important CS courses after intro.)

I don't know, I'm compE so when I see the EE guys I don't see special aura, I often see guys who couldn't wrap their heads around CS well enough to be CompE. (In my school, a good chunk of the CEs switch out to EE or CS 'cause they couldn't hack one or the other.)
if a catastrophic outbreak occurs and 98% of the human population is wiped out, which would be more useful? EE or CE?
Equally useful in somewhat different ways, though ChemE, Civil, MechE, and biomed are probably more beneficial. You learn enough as a CE to do some basic wiring, which is all you really need when the worlds on the brink of catastrophe.

What is the difference between electrical engineering and computer engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems, such as power generation and distribution, electronics, and communication systems. Computer engineering, on the other hand, deals with the design and development of computer systems and their components, including hardware and software.

Do computer engineers need to have a strong foundation in electrical engineering?

Yes, computer engineering is a branch of electrical engineering and therefore requires a strong foundation in electrical principles and concepts. However, computer engineers also need to have specialized knowledge in computer science and programming to design and develop computer systems.

What career opportunities are available for electrical and computer engineers?

Electrical and computer engineers have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, defense, energy, and healthcare. They can work as design engineers, software developers, system analysts, project managers, and more.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in electrical or computer engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in electrical or computer engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of mathematics and physics. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working on complex engineering projects.

What is the future outlook for electrical and computer engineering?

The demand for electrical and computer engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, as technology continues to advance and new industries emerge. There will also be a need for engineers to upgrade and maintain existing systems. Additionally, the rise of emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and 5G networks will create new opportunities for these professionals.