Can All String Shapes Be Derived from a Figure 8 Configuration?

In summary: Thank you. In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of string shapes and branes, as proposed by string theory. The theory suggests that strings can vibrate in different shapes, not just the figure 8 shape, and that they move through multiple dimensions. The idea of branes proposes that our universe may exist on a bubble-shaped membrane, but it is uncertain whether we are on the inside or outside surface. However, these concepts are still theoretical and require further research and evidence.
RingoKid
brane and string shapes ?

Hello, I am an uneducated savage so please bear with me and respond in laymans terms if possible so essentially I have 2 questions

I was wondering if all variations of string shapes could be made from sections of a figure 8 shaped string which co incidentally or not is an infinity symbol ?

closed loops, open loops, straight sections even X shapes can be made from a figure 8 shape

http://www.nubreaks.com/forum/uploads/post-7-1088662741.jpg

I'd like to imagine that each point in the above figure represents a dimension that the string vibrates across but it needs to pass thru the cross over point of time and 3 others to register as a physical object in our universe if not then it registers as an effect like gravity or light. Given that it can change shape it could disappear from our universe and back again by vibrating in and out of any number of points/dimensions.

secondly

If our universe is a bubble shaped brane are we on the inside surface or the outside surface ?

I would actuallly like to think we are in between the 2 surfaces of separate branes so for all intents and purposes it appears as though our universe is embedded in a bubble skin whose "leading edge/surface" is expanding at lightspeed faster than it's "trailing edge" giving the impression of inflation but all the while moving in a higher medium, only we can't tell as we are always looking from the inside out. So depending on which way we were looking things would be either moving towards us or away.

thanks in advance

RK

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello RK,

Thank you for your questions. I can certainly understand your curiosity about string shapes and branes. Let me try to address your questions in a simplified manner.

Firstly, the idea of string theory suggests that the fundamental building blocks of our universe are tiny strings, vibrating at different frequencies. These strings can take on different shapes, including the figure 8 shape you mentioned. However, it is not accurate to say that all string shapes can be made from a figure 8 shape. There are many different ways that strings can vibrate and interact, leading to a variety of shapes.

In terms of dimensions, string theory proposes that there are more than the three dimensions we are familiar with. These extra dimensions are curled up and not directly observable in our everyday lives. The vibrating strings move through these extra dimensions, which can affect their behavior and interactions.

As for your second question, the concept of branes (short for membranes) is a part of string theory that suggests our universe may exist on a membrane or surface. This membrane could be bubble-shaped, as you mentioned. However, it is not clear whether we are on the inside or outside surface of this membrane. Some theories propose that there could be multiple branes, and our universe could be sandwiched between them.

Overall, string theory and brane theory are still highly theoretical and not yet proven by scientific evidence. While they offer intriguing possibilities, there is still much research and experimentation needed to fully understand these concepts. I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Hello RK,

No worries, I will try my best to explain in simpler terms. Brane and string theory are complex concepts in physics, so it's completely understandable to have questions and need clarification.

To answer your first question, yes, all variations of string shapes can be made from sections of a figure 8 shaped string. In string theory, particles (such as electrons and quarks) are not thought of as tiny dots, but rather as tiny loops of string. These strings can vibrate in different ways, giving rise to different types of particles. So, in a sense, you could think of the figure 8 shape as representing the possible vibrations of a string that can create different types of particles.

As for your second question, the idea of our universe being a bubble-shaped brane is just one possibility in string theory. It is still a topic of ongoing research and debate, so there is no definitive answer yet. However, if we were to consider this idea, we could be on either the inside or outside surface of the brane. It really depends on how the brane is embedded in higher dimensions. It's difficult to imagine or determine from our perspective which surface we are on, as we are limited to observing our universe from within. But your idea of being in between two surfaces is an interesting concept to consider.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions. Keep exploring and learning about these fascinating concepts!

1. What is the concept of brane and string shapes?

Brane and string shapes are fundamental concepts in string theory, which is a theoretical framework that seeks to unify all of the known fundamental forces of physics. In this theory, particles are not considered to be point-like objects, but rather one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies. These strings are thought to exist in a higher-dimensional space known as the "bulk", while our observable universe is considered a three-dimensional "brane" that is embedded within the bulk. The shape and size of these branes and strings play a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles and forces.

2. How do brane and string shapes affect the behavior of particles?

The shape and size of branes and strings determine the vibrational modes and energy levels of the strings, which in turn determine the properties of particles and the forces between them. For example, the number of dimensions in a brane can affect the strength of the gravitational force, and the shape of a string can determine the type of particle it represents (e.g. electron, quark, etc.). Therefore, brane and string shapes play a crucial role in explaining the fundamental interactions observed in the universe.

3. What evidence supports the existence of brane and string shapes?

String theory is still a highly theoretical and speculative concept, and there is currently no direct experimental evidence for the existence of branes and strings. However, there are some indirect pieces of evidence that support the validity of string theory. For example, string theory can resolve some mathematical inconsistencies in other theories, and it can potentially provide a way to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, some predictions of string theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, have been tested through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider.

4. Can branes and strings have different shapes in different dimensions?

Yes, according to string theory, branes and strings can have different shapes in different dimensions. In fact, the theory predicts that there are 10 dimensions in total - 3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension that we experience, and 6 additional compactified dimensions that are too small for us to observe directly. The shapes and sizes of these dimensions can vary, and they can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles and forces in our observable universe.

5. How do scientists study the shapes of branes and strings?

As mentioned earlier, there is currently no direct experimental evidence for the existence of branes and strings. Therefore, scientists study these theoretical concepts through mathematical models and simulations. They use advanced mathematical techniques such as algebraic geometry and differential geometry to understand the properties and behavior of strings and branes in different scenarios. Additionally, they also use computer simulations to visualize and analyze the behavior of these objects in various hypothetical situations.