Proving Impossible: Equivalent Homogeneous Systems of Linear Equations

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of proving that two homogeneous systems of linear equations with the same solutions are equivalent. The definition of equivalence is given as "two systems of linear equations are equivalent if each equation in each system is a linear combination of the equations in the other system." The conversation includes an example of two systems that share the same solution but are not equivalent, leading to the question of whether the question is malformed or if it is possible to get x + y as a linear combination of c1(x - y) + c2(2x + y). Further discussion includes a systematic approach to solving the equation and rewriting it in terms of matrices and vectors. The conversation concludes with an explanation of why x=y=0 is
coderdave
A question at the end of a chapter in a book I'm reading asked me to prove something which I'm thinking is a mistake because it seems to be impossible to prove.

'Prove that if two homogeneous systems of linear equations in two unknowns have the same solutions, then they are equivalent.'

The book defines equivalence to be 'two systems of linear equations are equivalent if each equation in each system is a linear combination of the equations in the other system'.

I can think of two systems which share the same solution (the trivial solution) that are not equivalent. That is the second system of homogeneous linear equations are not a combination of the first system of homogeneous linear equations but they both share the same solution.

system 1,
x - y = 0
2x + y = 0

system 2,
3x + y = 0
x + y = 0

Am I right in believing that their question is malformed or am I wrong in believing that you can not get x + y as a linear combination of c1(x - y) + c2(2x + y).

Thank you,
-= Dave

Mathematics news on Phys.org
coderdave said:
A question at the end of a chapter in a book I'm reading asked me to prove something which I'm thinking is a mistake because it seems to be impossible to prove.

'Prove that if two homogeneous systems of linear equations in two unknowns have the same solutions, then they are equivalent.'

The book defines equivalence to be 'two systems of linear equations are equivalent if each equation in each system is a linear combination of the equations in the other system'.

I can think of two systems which share the same solution (the trivial solution) that are not equivalent. That is the second system of homogeneous linear equations are not a combination of the first system of homogeneous linear equations but they both share the same solution.

system 1,
x - y = 0
2x + y = 0

system 2,
3x + y = 0
x + y = 0

Am I right in believing that their question is malformed or am I wrong in believing that you can not get x + y as a linear combination of c1(x - y) + c2(2x + y).

Thank you,
-= Dave

itd be best to see what's going on geometrically ...a system of 2 linear equations in 2 variables represents 2 lines through the origin

coderdave said:
-= Dave

The latter. [itex]x+y=(-\frac{1}{3})(x-y)+(\frac{2}{3})(2x+y)[/itex].

Martin Rattigan said:
The latter. [itex]x+y=(-\frac{1}{3})(x-y)+(\frac{2}{3})(2x+y)[/itex].

Thank you Martin. I spent a long time thinking about how to represent x + y as a linear combination of those two and couldn't figure it out. Now that I see the answer its pretty obvious.

Is there a systematic approach to figuring it out or did you just do it in your head.

Thank you,
-= Dave

coderdave said:
Is there a systematic approach to figuring it out or did you just do it in your head.
Just solve the equation
x+y = c1(x-y) + c2(2x+y)​
for c1 and c2.

(It may help to collect all of the x's together and all of the y's together)

P.S. it may be interesting to rewrite everything in terms of matrices and vectors.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
Just solve the equation
x+y = c1(x-y) + c2(2x+y)​
for c1 and c2.

(It may help to collect all of the x's together and all of the y's together)

P.S. it may be interesting to rewrite everything in terms of matrices and vectors.

Thanks. In fact, after I wrote this post I went to lunch and I couldn't stop thinking about it and came up with the solution on a napkin. I formulated in terms of vector and matrices and solved for it.

Now that I know how to solve for it I just have to figure out how to prove it.

Thanks very much!
-= Dave

Don't want to sound stupid but is not x=y=0 the solution? :)

coderdave said:
Am I right in believing that their question is malformed?
No, you are wrong.

The solution space are all vectors orthogonal to each row vector, which means that the row vectors must span the orthogonal complement to the solution space. This in turn means that for anyone solution space each set of row vectors can produce each other set of row vectors for equivalent equations.

I put a small proof in spoiler white above.

alice22 said:

x= y= 0 is a solution to any homogeneous set of equations but if the determinant of the coefficient matrix is 0, the set of all solutions is a subspace of \(\displaystyle R^n\).

HallsofIvy said:
x= y= 0 is a solution to any homogeneous set of equations but if the determinant of the coefficient matrix is 0, the set of all solutions is a subspace of \(\displaystyle R^n\).
No it isn't, x + y = 4

does not have a solution of x=y=0.

What is this matrix? I see no matrix.

alice22 said:
No it isn't, x + y = 4
That is not a homogeneous equation.

Klockan3 said:
That is not a homogeneous equation.

Why not?
Whats wrong with it?
Homogeneous has loads of different meanings in wikipedia, can you explain what you mean by it in simple (laymans) terms?

alice22 said:
Why not?
Whats wrong with it?
Homogeneous has loads of different meanings in wikipedia, can you explain what you mean by it in simple (laymans) terms?
Try checking the relevant maths page?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_of_linear_equations#Homogeneous_systems

Now I don't really know your background so maybe you haven't studied linear algebra, then I would have taken a bit more time explaining things.

alice22 said:

Yes Alice that is totally correct for both of the examples given by the OP. Both of the examples given are "full rank" so the only solution is zero.

x + y = 4 does not have a solution of x=y=0
Homogenious in this sense simply means that the RHS is the zero vector, so a better example would be x + y = 0. Now we see that x=y=0 is still a solution, but it is no longer the only solution.

1. What is the purpose of proving that two systems of linear equations are equivalent?

The purpose of proving equivalence between two systems of linear equations is to show that they have the same solutions. This allows us to simplify and manipulate the equations in different forms while still obtaining the same solution.

2. How do you determine if two systems of linear equations are equivalent?

Two systems of linear equations are equivalent if they have the same number of equations, the same number of variables, and the same solution set. This can be determined by solving both systems and comparing the resulting solutions.

3. What methods can be used to prove equivalence between two systems of linear equations?

There are several methods that can be used to prove equivalence between two systems of linear equations. These include row operations, substitution, and elimination. In each method, the goal is to manipulate the equations in such a way that the solutions remain the same.

4. Why is it important to prove equivalence between two systems of linear equations?

Proving equivalence between two systems of linear equations is important because it allows us to simplify and transform the equations into different forms without changing the solutions. This can be useful in solving complex problems or in finding alternate ways to represent the same relationships.

5. Can two systems of linear equations be equivalent but have different forms?

Yes, two systems of linear equations can be equivalent but have different forms. This is because the equations can be rearranged or manipulated in different ways while still maintaining the same solutions. It is important to remember that the form of the equations does not affect their equivalence, as long as the solutions remain the same.